I bought 1 PW in 2011 for multiple users.

My kids never installed it but now want to. How can they download it? I'm not sure if I bought a mac version. Also my email has changed. How can I update it?

1Password Version: Version 3.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I bought 1 PW in 2011 for multiple users. My kids never installed it but now want to. How can they d

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

What OS are they (and you) using? Version 3 is very old, still works to some extent, but an upgrade is recommended. Which version you need depends on which OS is being used.

Note that the upgrade from version 3 is a paid one (but all later versions have the same licence, so only one upgrade fee is needed). There is no longer a family licence, as the licence now covers multiple users in a household.

The download is just from the AgileBits web site. This gives s thirty-day trial period, but then you need to get a licence.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Maureenskelly,

Everything danco has told you is accurate. We can help you update your email address but if it turns out that you will really want to pick up a new licence we can skip that bit (as you'll have an opportunity to use your new email address when you do so). So the best place to start is to ask where you need 1Password to work right now for you and your kids.

So like danco, can I ask what versions of OS X are you and your kids running? Once we know that piece of information we can lay out all of your options which may include needing to purchase nothing :smile:

• Maureenskelly
    Maureenskelly
    Community Member

I have an Apple but unsure of my OS X (Macbook Pro 6.2???)... Can you direct me where to find this information?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Maureenskelly,

For as many versions of OS X as I can remember all you should need to do to find out what version of OS X you are running is click the Apple in the top left hand corner and select the About This Mac menu option. In the window that opens it should say what version of OS X you are running. Don't forget to ask the kids too though as to give you the most complete information we'd need to know about all the Macs that you will want to run 1Password on.

The reason we're asking is 1Password 3 for Mac is quite old now but is still the newest version that will work on a Mac running either OS X 10.6 or 10.7 (AKA Snow Leopard and Lion respectively). However we are up to OS X 10.11 AKA El Capitan and in the newest version of OS X 1Password 3 for Mac has significant compatibility issues simply due to age. If your kids or you were running Yosemite or El Capitan would recommend upgrading to 1Password 6 for Mac which will still cover all the previous versions. On the other hand, if you're all running Snow Leopard or Lion we'd work with you and your existing licence as an upgrade won't do you any good.

• Maureenskelly
    Maureenskelly
    Community Member

Mine says 10.6.8 I'm checking with the kids...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Maureenskelly,

So you won't benefit from a new licence, it all comes down to what version of OS X your kids are running and then we'll be able to map out all the viable options you have :smile:

This discussion has been closed.