I have "pro" and I am adding an employee. I only want her to have access to certain passwords...

As I mentioned in the title, I am adding an employee and I want her to have access just to the passwords she needs to do her job and nothing more. What is the most efficient/cost effective way to do this? I am using version 4.6.0.598 Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:adding a user to my account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@apherman: To be clear, a 1Password for Windows single license entitles you and up to 5 family members in your household to use 1Password on all of your PCs, but this does not include employees. She would need her own license.

However, you can use Dropbox to share a separate vault with only the items for your employee. Just keep in mind that you cannot later retract the information you give to someone else, only revoke access so that future changes aren't shared with them. She'd also need to have the Master Password to be able to access that vault.

Creating additional vaults (File > New 1Password Vault) is free and easy, but deciding who you can trust with your important data is a matter for careful consideration. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. There is no way I am giving her access to my master password. I'll have to find another way around.

• Hi @apherman,

Can it be that you misread Brenty's response? He proposed creating a separate vault that will only contain the information that your employee needs to do their job. You would have to give them the master password for that particular vault but not for the one that contains all of your information.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

I did misunderstand his reply. Thanks for the clarification. where would I find the instructions for setting up a second vault for her?

• MikeT
    edited June 2016

Hi @apherman,

It was linked in Brenty's reply, here's the link: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?win

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

Follow up question ... I created a new vault for my employee and now I need to know how I can copy just those passwords into that vault. Your help is appreciated. thanks

• Hi @apherman - It's quite easy to copy items from one vault to another -

Open vault you want to copy from - File > Re-open 1Password Vault.
    Hold down control key and click on each item you want to copy.
    Press control + C to copy the selected items.
    Open the vault you want to copy to - File > Re-open 1Password Vault.
    Press control + V to paste the items into this vault.

Let us know how you get on :)

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

Thanks Laura...trying it now.

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

:) Thanks...

• On behalf of Laura, you're welcome.

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

Hi Guys,

I need some more help. The employee I added a few months back is gone. I was never able to figure out how to give her access, so even though the vaults were created, she never logged into them. Am I able to rename them?

• Did she ever add items to the vault in question?
    If not, why would you want to keep it? You can simply remove it and create a new shared vault for any given new employee if necessary.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

Hi Alex,

Sorry about the major delay in responding. I have had her doing other stuff. My previous employee never logged into her vault because I could never figure it our for her. The vaults show up on her computer under the administrator login, but not under her own login. I need some additional help with this. How do we go about escalating this? I previously had a tech support session where it was a shared screen and it solved the issue very quick. Thanks

• Hi @apherman,

Thanks for writing in again.

The reason the vault shows up under the administrator account and not her own account is because the vault is stored in a user's individual account and not globally on the PC. Just as the data in 1Password in not bound to the application itself but rather stored in and accessed from the vault files.

Have you tried opening 1Password in her account, adding the shared vault and having her open it?

I would suggest directing her to https://support.1password.com, too so she can familiarise herself with 1Password.

With all that said: it is my firm opinion that our solution for teams would be a better, easier to set up, and more secure option for you.
    You should give it a look at https://1password.com/teams/

This discussion has been closed.