Initial Vault to OneDrive?

Options

I don't use my Documents folder at all. I save everything to OneDrive with this computer. Is there a reason for me to leave the vault saved in the documents folder over OneDrive?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:windows/, kb-search:vault location, kb:move-vault

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @Hafheim,

If you're syncing between multiple computers, you should leave the main 1Password folder in the Documents folder to provide a redundancy to your 1Password backups, just move the active 1Password vault to OneDrive.

What I mean by this is if one PC goes bad, whatever happens to the 1Password's Backups folder doesn't spread to the cloud that goes back down onto the other computers, thus redundancy is critical to your backups. Make sure each computer has a copy of its own backups instead of all pointing to the same cloud folder with only one copy of the backups. The general rule for backups is 2 local copies and one offsite copy.

If you only have one PC, you should make a copy of the Backups into the OneDrive folder just in case.

To move the vault to OneDrive;

1. Exit 1Password first via the File Menu > Exit
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and move the 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault vault in your Documents > 1Password directory to your OneDrive folder.
    3. On the other PC, mark the folder available offline if you're using Windows 8.1 and then configure 1Password to open this folder via the File Menu > Open 1Password Vault. If you're setting up 1Password for the first time on this PC, select the second option, I have used 1Password before to point to your OneDrive > 1Password folder.
This discussion has been closed.