Windows Store

Options
Dani_Mue
Dani_Mue
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,

First of all: Thanks for making 1Password awesome! It's one of if not the most used program on my Machines! I'm VERY happy with 1Password for MAC!

That said: I've had to install Windows 10 on my company Notebook (because regulations...). I really like where the Windows 10 1Password app is going! Nice UI and I can work with the feature set that the beta gives me (browser extensions are VERY VEEEEERY sorely missed...)

But WHY, OH WHY... did you make 1Password for Windows 10 available through the Microsoft Store exclusively?! The user experience of the store is abysmal... especially so for domain joined accounts... please please please make the Windows 10 1Password ab available without having to go through that painful windows store... and the limitations (sandbox, no browser extensions etc.) are bad, too...

Or is there a good reason to have the App on Windows Store EXCLUSIVELY?

Keep up the good work! :)

Cheers

Daniel

1Password Version: Windows 10 App
Extension Version: there are none :(
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Teams

Comments

• Hi Daniel,

Windows Store is the only feasible way to distribute universal Windows app. There are other options, like people manually switching to developer mode and installing packages or when system administrators enable side-loading and people manually get it installed and keep it up to date... We tried these options between ourselves and trust me, it's more pain than gain. With that being said, I believe there are options for domain administrators to setup some kind of "private Store" for domain users (I might be very incorrect here, I've never done it myself) and distribute it through there, quick search brought me to this link Distribute apps using your private store.

Sandboxing is a good thing. Well, to me it's probably annoying, because I have to be creative or smarter than before to do the same thing, but in the end it is a good thing for everyone. For example, I never liked some .exe coming from anywhere, cause I know even trusted source could contain infected distribution. And classic desktop apps have too many permissions at hand. With sandboxed Universal Windows apps I know that none of them is capable of scanning my clipboard in attempt to steal a password, none of them is capable of accessing file without me giving access to that file in the first place. It's really more secure. I guess what everyone really want is browser extensions to work. And that is where we have few ideas that we are researching right now, I can't make any promises for obvious reasons, but we are working on it.

Hope that helps :)

This discussion has been closed.