Generating a password in win10 beta

gwholtslander
gwholtslander
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm using the Win10 beta and it's got all my information, but when I went to change a really weak password I realized I couldn't find any way to generate a new password. That has to be there, but I sure can't find it anywhere. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 1password Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Generating a password in win10 beta

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gwholtslander, generating a new, secure, password is certainly something that is possible, but only for Teams/Families items.

If you'd like to change the password for an existing item, tap the "edit" button in the bottom right of the page, then click the "pencil" icon to the right of the password field:

You'll then see a new window full of customization settings for creating new and secure passwords:

Once you're done, just save your edits to ensure this new password is kept :)

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

So I can't change any of my 1356 personal passwords, in the program? That seems a bit unhandy!

That being said, whether I'm in a team group or my personal I don't have a pencil available to change the passwords. Here are screen shots of my 1password views in both.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Are you signed in to your Teams account as a user with "edit" permissions enabled?

Also, what version of the app are you using? I ask because the details area (on the far right) ought to look like this:

When you click on the pencil at the bottom, you should see a blue pencil next to the Password field's value:

If you're using a "legacy" vault (one that's not part of your Teams/Families account) you still see the same controls at the bottom of that first image, but Add and Edit are disabled.

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member

I I'm using Version 2016.2.2400. Not sure if that's the app version or not.

How would I tell if I am logged in as a user with editing permissions. I can manually change anything on any of my password records and then save it. I can delete anything as well. So I can edit for sure. I just don't have access to the password generator so I can edit with strong passwords I don't have to make up.

As for vaults, legacy, team or family, we don't have one. At least we haven't been asked to create one and then store it in any place we are aware of.

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member

When I edit a password record and click on the password field all I get is an x on the side, no pencil.

• @gwholtslander that is strange, can you please drop a line with link to this forum thread at support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com ?

I believe this is a bug that prevent app to identify that this is password field and that is why you are getting simply text line editor instead of password editor. To confirm that we need to look into JSON structure of the item and I'd prefer not to do it in public.

p.s. team vault permissions can be seen by chosing ... button next to vault title and selecting Properties.

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member

Yep, I have full rights to do anything on anything in the system.

• Thanks, I think it's because app did not recognize password field.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

As for vaults, legacy, team or family, we don't have one. At least we haven't been asked to create one and then store it in any place we are aware of.

In both of your screen shots, above, @gwholtslander, you're using a vault named Personal in your Holtslander Comm... Teams/Families account.

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member

Ah, yes, that's totally true. It's just not stored anywhere locally that I'm aware of. So, when the Win version 4 software asks me where my vault is I don't have an answer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

I see.

Yes, 1Password 4 for Windows needs a "legacy" vault—that is, a .agilekeychain or .opvault folder—that it can find and open. It doesn't include support for Teams/Families accounts.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@gwholtslander, we've received your e-mail message with the requested JSON, and we'll make sure @SergeyTheAgile gets a look at it. Thanks!

ref: DFT-51928-943

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member

So now you have me intrigued. How do I have a vault on my Mac (everything works great on the Mac) and in the Win Beta which allows me to see my passwords, but I don't have a vault to show for it?

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

@DBrown - Hi, I wonder if you could blur the password and username fields in gwholtslander's screenshots above? The login details for a twitter account seem to be exposed in the screenshots (unless they're old details?).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That's probably a good idea, @pbryanw. Thanks!

@gwholtslander, I hope you don't mind my replacing your screen shots with copies that have your credentials obscured.

• gwholtslander
    gwholtslander
    Community Member

Not at all, much appreciated actually.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Glad to help, and thanks again to @pbryanw!

This discussion has been closed.