Moving a vault

OK, I have created a vault for a company on a Windows PC. It has a a master password that is unique. I now need to get that vault without the master password over to 2 other Windows machines that have a different unique master password. What file do I need to put on a USB drive to do this? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2016

Hi @Steve_H,

The vault is protected by its own master password, you cannot have one without the other. Moving it to another PC would not change its password.

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, can you clarify what you want to do and why does each computer have to have a different password for the same vault?

Do you mean you want to make three copies of the same vault on three separate computers and manually change the password for it on each computer?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I am used to working with the Mac version. In that version I can do an File, export, all items. Save it to a USB drive. then go to a second machine, and do a File, import, and the entire vault is imported. The second machine has a different master password than the first machine and that does not change when I do the import. I am trying to do the same with the windows version.

• Hi @Steve_H,

You can do the same thing with the PC version; in 1Password on the PC, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Export, select the format 1Password Interchange File and then select All Items. It's the same format as we use in the Mac app.

To import, use the File Menu > Import to select the 1PIF file/folder you exported.

However, please be careful with the 1PIF files, they're not encrypted nor protected with a password, you should securely delete them as soon as the import is done.

If you're doing this all the time, you should consider syncing your files instead of using 1PIF.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

If it had been a snake, it would have bit me. :-).. I did not realize that there was a pull down...The best part of this is, once this project is done with Windows it will never be done again. At home I usually only have to do this about every 60 days. No real way to sync/share and have different master passwords.

• So moving the stuff from one Windows PC to the other two Windows PCs is a one-off? If so, then you're good.
    Still, like Mike said, please make sure to securely delete the .1pif file once you're done, because they're not encrypted.

You do this at home every 60 days? Which machines are you trying to keep in sync? Because a syncing solution could save you a lot of work.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Actually, I will reformat the USB drive when I am done. I honestly don't know how to securely delete anything in Windows.

I have two Macs at home. Two separate Apple ID. Two different master passwords.

• MikeT
    edited March 2016

Hi @Steve_H,

You can encrypt the drive, it should scramble the entire drive storage. Here's how to do it on OS X: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21791?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Decrypting it afterward should be all you need to do.

However, secure deleting a flash-based drive is even harder to do. I'd recommend encrypting the drive before you store the export file in it. This only works between Macs but if you want to use it on Windows as well, you'll need to find a cross-platform tool for this.

This discussion has been closed.