No sync option available on mac

roisinpoteen
roisinpoteen
Community Member

I'm running 1Password 6, Version 6.1 (610005), AgileBits Store and when I go to System Preferences there is no Sync pane. I'd like to sync to Dropbox, which I have already setup on my iPhone, but I can't find where to setup syncing to my macbook.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.1 (610005) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:no sync option on mac

Comments

• rgruyters
    rgruyters
    Community Member

You should first add the Vault from your Dropbox account to 1Password. Then it will automatically use the sync with Dropbox option.
    You can't go to sync and search for a Vault on Dropbox.

Adding the Vault from Dropbox to 1Password is as simple as drag and drop, from your Dropbox folder to 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @roisinpoteen,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble syncing your data from Dropbox!

When you open the main 1Password app, are you able to unlock it and see data in your vault(s)? Or are you being taken through a setup? If it's working like the first time you've opened it on your Mac and taking you through a setup procedure, you can sync your vault from Dropbox by following the steps here: Using existing 1Password data on a new computer

On the other hand, if you've already set up 1Password on your Mac but the Preferences window doesn't have a Sync tab, is it possible you have a 1Password for Teams or 1Password for Families account, and signed into that account when you initially setup 1Password on your Mac? If so, you don't need to set up Dropbox sync for the vaults in your Teams/Families account - that data is automatically updated on your devices via our secure servers. However, if you have a separate vault on your iPhone which is syncing with Dropbox, and you have data there that you need to sync to 1Password on your Mac, we can help you with that - just let us know.

Thanks! :)

• roisinpoteen
    roisinpoteen
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the reply. As you mentioned, I've got a Families account and went through the initial setup that way. However my iPhone doesn't appear to sync with my Mac. Should I reinstall on my iPhone and start from the beginning to get them synced?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @roisinpoteen,

Should I reinstall on my iPhone and start from the beginning to get them synced?

There are actually a couple options here:

• Add your Families account to the existing setup of 1Password on your iPhone (which will retain the local vault that syncs with Dropbox, but which you might not need), or...
    • Reset 1Password on your iPhone and set it up again by signing into your Families account, so it will be in "Families-only" mode (like 1Password on your Mac).

The best option depends on if you currently have any data in 1Password on your iPhone. If you have data there (and assuming you don't want to lose that data), don't reset 1Password on your iPhone - instead, add your Families account (from the 1Password app, go to Settings > 1Password for Teams and add your Families account there). That will add the same vaults on your iPhone that you have on your Mac.

Does that help? If you have data in the current vault on your iPhone (i.e. the one that syncs with Dropbox) and need help to move that to your Families account and/or to your Mac, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• roisinpoteen
    roisinpoteen
    Community Member

That's brilliant. Thanks very much! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• rberger
    rberger
    Community Member

Could you add something to the documentation for how to enable sync in 1Password for teams and families so people can sync there personal data to dropbox. I'm having this issue everytime I convince existing 1password users to convert to 1password for teams.
    (or better yet, make it a preference to enable / disable sync in the Advanced preferences

• Hi @rberger,

I'm not sure I follow what you're asking here. Do you mean how to add a non-Teams vault to 1Password so that you can sync that vault to Dropbox? Or are you asking if you could take a vault that's part of a Team, and also sync it to dropbox?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• jfd0302
    jfd0302
    Community Member

I had a 1password account. Then I got a new computer at home and was setting it up and it said there was a families option which I thought was nice, but now there is no way to add my existing vault which is on my dropbox because there is no synch option. So how do I delete this stupid families thing and just get back to 1password original. I really regret I ever thought of using 1password for the family. You should warn people that if you have an existing account you can never synch it with a family account. What do I do now? Why do you guys make it difficult now?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@jfd0302 I'm sorry for the frustration you've experienced, but it is possible to both move your old information to 1Password Families and to use the 1Password apps to store data that is synced via Dropbox, iCloud, or Wi-Fi Sync and has nothing to do with 1Password Families.

Before we begin, I want you to know that 1Password Families is a subscription service. If you knew that and want to use it, follow the steps below. If you didn't know that and want to stop using 1Password Families, I'll tell you how to do that, too.

To get to your Dropbox data:

1. Unlock 1Password
    2. Go to Preferences and select Advanced
    3. Check the box next to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts"
    4. Set up syncing via Dropbox by going to Preferences and selecting Sync, which will now appear

That will get your old information back into 1Password. After that, follow the migration guide to get your data into your 1Password account. Now you're all set with 1Password Families!

If you don't want to use 1Password Families:

1. Lock 1Password
    2. Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over
    3. Select "Use without an account" at startup
    4. Set up syncing via Dropbox

Now you're all set with the 1Password you know and love. You'll get an email warning that your account will be frozen; if you aren't using 1Password Families you don't have to worry about that. You will have to make sure you apply a license to 1Password for Mac, though, if you didn't purchase it from the Mac App Store. 1Password Families offers access to all the apps, which is why it didn't ask for one before.

This discussion has been closed.