How to sync 1Password between two computers

This discussion was created from comments split from: problem synching laptop and desktop.

Comments

• tim06854
    tim06854
    Community Member

I originally downloaded 1Password to my laptop. Now I've paid the $50 and want to sync with not only my ipad and iphone(done that, no problem) but with my desktop which I've downloaded 1Password to and want to sync with all the work i've done on the laptop. I've entered the license key, but nothing happens as far as downloading all of the inputed information from my laptop. PLEASE HELP!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tim06854,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing your 1Password data between your two Macs! Your question sounds a bit different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

Your license is completely separate from your data and/or sync setup in 1Password. In order to sync your 1Password data between two Macs, you'll need to use iCloud Sync or Dropbox Sync. We have more information about the sync options here: Syncing your 1Password data

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• tim06854
    tim06854
    Community Member

I don't know if it matters but I'm not looking to sync between 2 macs. I'm looking to sync 2 Windows based machines; a desktop and a laptop. And how does the edit/sync work? If I make changes/ additions on my iPad, will the changes sync to Windows machines and my iPhone, or can I only make changes additions on a Windows based desktop or laptop, then sync with Apple devices?

• tim06854
    tim06854
    Community Member

If my license is completely separate from my data and/or sync setup in 1Password, then what is the license for? Did I just spend $50 for no reason. Your 1Password is raved about but I'm finding it very difficult and not user friendly!

• Hi @tim06854 - You can sync all your 1Password data between your 2 Windows PCs and your iPhone and iPad using Dropbox sync. How are you currently syncing 1Password between your iPhone and iPad?

• tim06854
    tim06854
    Community Member

I haven't tried that yet. How do you do that? If go to the sync screen on my iPhone and press "sync now", I get a message box with "computer not found, 1Password could not find a MAC or PC . . ." That means to me the only way to sync is through the windows pc. I use 1Password for my boss, but I only have it on his iPhone and iPad; no pc. And when I make changes on 1 device, it syncs to the other. Don't know how. And I set it it up for him but don't remember how. Now in doing it for myself, I've incorporated the desktop and laptop because I want to able to make changes on any device and it syncs to all other devices, but I don't know how to do that. I guess I have to open a Dropbox account. And what's the license for? I spent $50 dollars because my laptop where I originally set this up wouldn't let me continue adding accounts because my trial was over. So I bought the license, downloaded 1Password to my desktop, hoping I could sync what i had already entered on my laptop with the new download on my desktop. No go. I think the only thing I know is that I need a Dropbox account to do that. Is that what the license is for. Now I'm tired of typing. I have a lot of questions. Can I call and talk to someone?

• Hi @tim06854 - If you 1Password data is being synced between your iPhone and iPad you must be using either Dropbox or iCloud for this. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from your iPhone and one from your iPad:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.