I found my old password. Want to recover synced data [Re-open that previous vault]

lydialou22
lydialou22
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I forgot my Master Password and finally gave up and started over. Now I have found my password and I want to recover data synced to Dropbox. How do I do it?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows & Home Premium
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password, kb:starting-over, kb:forgot-master-password, kb:starting-over, kb:forgot-master-password

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@lydialou22 - Tell us if you have a backup solution for your computer. Depending on how that works, you should be able to go back in time to recover the files you would have deleted to start over.

Edit: I am going to move this to the Windows section of the forum, where I think you are likely to get more specific help.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

I have Carbonite

• Hi @lydialou22 - I'm so sorry you previously forgot your password. Can you clarify how you started over? Did you just create a new vault?
    Do you still have the old vault? If you deleted that 1Password vault in Dropbox, go to dropbox.com from a browser - Dropbox maintains deleted files and you can restore from the Deleted Files folder.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

I do not seem to still have the old vault. But I have 1Password data files in Dropbox.

• Hi @lydialou22 - if you still have the 1Password vault in Dropbox -

Run 1Password.
    From the lock screen, click on File > Open 1Password Vault and select the old vault own your Dropbox folder.

Please let us know if this helps.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

In Dropbox, under Apps, I have a folder labeled 1Password. In that folder is what looks like the vault icon to me. It says 1Password.agilekeychain. There are 2 subfolders: one labeled config and one labeled data.
    I tried selecting the one that looks like a vault but nothing happened.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

I have it back! Hallelujah!

• Hi @lydialou22 - Great news!! I'm so glad you were able to re-open your previous vault. Thank you for letting us know.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

I still need help though.
    All this happened after I got a Mac laptop. I purchased 1Password 6.1 for the Mac. When I forgot my password, I opened a new vault in the 1Password 6 on my Mac. Now I have my old vault with tons of data on my PC and a new vault on my Mac with very little data. I am scared to do anything for fear I will lose my data from the Windows version.
    But I need to access the old vault on my Mac. I can easily manually update my old vault with the passwords that I have changed since I opened the new vault. But I am scared of losing my data.
    Please help me

• @lydialou22 - I am happy to continue to help you with this. You should just need to point 1Password on Mac to this same 1Password vault in Dropbox. To do this -

Run 1Password on Mac, and unlock with your Master Password.
    Click on 1Password in very top menu bar and select Preferences.
    Select the Sync tab.
    Disable the Dropbox sync by selecting None and then re-enable it and this time select the same 1Password vault in Dropbox that 1Password on your Windows PC is now pointing to.
    You will be asked if you want to merge the data. Answer Yes.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any questions on these steps.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

When I select Sync under Preferences, it was on None. So I then chose Dropbox. The window opened to, "Sync Primary vault with Dropbox".
    Below that it said, "Dropbox is not installed. Download Dropbox."
    And
    "Dropbox app is not running."

So apparently I have not installed Dropbox on the Mac and need to followcthe instructions. Right?

• @lydialou22 - Yes, that's correct. You will need to install Dropbox on your Mac. Allow it time to sync all your files. Then set up the Dropbox sync in 1Password on your Mac and point it to that same vault. Let us know how you get on, we are always here.

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

Ok. I synced all the files in Dropbox. I opened 1Password on the Mac. It comes up again with the screen saying "Sync Primary vault with Dropbox". Below that it says, "Click here to find the Dropbox folder" and on the same line, box that says "Choose". When I click where it says click here, a window opens with a folder named Data at the top of the window. Thre folders show below: "Backups", "Data", and "Watchtower". I dont know what to do

• @lydialou22 - Could you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com and we can help further with this. In the email, can you include a link back to this forum post. Thanks!

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

Yes, Thank you.

• Hi @lydialou22 - were you able to send an email to support+windows@agilebits.com? I haven't seen one come in from you yet and I am looking forward to getting this worked out for you. Thanks :)

• lydialou22
    lydialou22
    Community Member

Yes, I sent one right after you said too and I got an automated reply saying that it had been received v

• @lydialou22 - Thanks, I found your ticket and I will reply via email shortly.

ref: SQC-91313-678

This discussion has been closed.