Getting message *\1password4\unins000.dat file is corrupted Cannot uninstall. Also cannot reinstall

Cannot uninstall or reinstall 1Password4.

Uninstall error comes up with unins000.dat file is corrupted.

Re-installation setup wizard works (no errors) but after reboot I get "An important component is missing from 1Password

1Password Version: 4.6.0
Extension Version: 604
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: n/a
Referrer: forum-search:unins000.dat corrupt

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cyoakem: Sorry for the trouble! I've got a solution for you.

I tested this myself just to be sure (by replacing the contents of unins000.dat with garbage), and you can simply download a fresh copy of 1Password from the AgileBits website, install it over your corrupt installation, and then you'll be able to uninstall the app from the Add & Remove Programs panel in Windows Settings.You'll probably need to restart Windows at some point in this process.

Now, because you already had an existing (damaged) installation with an unins000.dat file, the new installation will increment this and you'll end up with unins001.dat. That's fine. After you run the uninstaller (which will work, since it's using the undamaged unins001.dat that was just created), you'll have some files still left in C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\. Just drag the whole thing to your Desktop for now, and then reinstall the app again from scratch (remember, it's gone from Windows Settings, and there's no folder left in Program Files). Then you should be good to go. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• cyoakem
    cyoakem
    Community Member

That worked like a charm! Thank you for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that did the trick. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.