Use on Mac and Windows

I have just installed a trial version of 1Password on an a MacBook Air. I like the software and would now like to purchase it for installation on my MacBook Air as well as my iMac and a PC Windows computer at my office. I will be the only user. How do I do this? None of your plans seem to fit. I would make purchases through Agilebits not the App Store. Thanks for the help.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: OS X latest; Windows 7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:sync-options, kb:sales-faq

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DerAlte,

I'm glad to hear you like 1Password! I think that what you are looking for and would best solve your problem is to buy the Mac+Windows bundle. You'll be able to use it on both Macs plus your Windows computer. You can get it here: https://agilebits.com/store

I hope this helps you!

• Hi @DerAlte,

Pilar is correct, your best option is the Mac + Windows bundle license at our store. With this license, you can use 1Password on any number of PCs and Macs. The license also includes free family sharing, you can share it with up to 5 family members of the household, each member can use it on any number of PC/Macs.

We do not keep track of your computers, installs, activations or anything like that. That means if you get a new computer, just use the same license and you don't have to worry about de-activating the old computer.

• DerAlte
    DerAlte
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I purchased the bundle. I have one more question: The program encourages use of different p/ws for each account. That means I will have to change many of my current p/ws. However, the various accounts require logging into their sites and changeing a p/w there. So, if I generate and change a p/w in 1Password I will be unable to log in without retrieving the new p/w and logging into the site from a computer without 1Password on it? Am I making this too hard? No help in user manual on this issue. Finally, is there any way to print out a list of accounts with their passwords -- just in case! Many thanks. Der Alte

• Hi @DerAlte,

The program encourages use of different p/ws for each account.

It's just not us, that's the strongest security advice anyone can give you. Imagine if you're using a bank account and you use the same password for it that you also use for a shopping site or a causal forum. If someone breached the forum and gets your email address and password, they will use that information to try on all sites including that bank site.

By using a different and strong password for each site, they cannot use one breach to get to your other sites.

However, the various accounts require logging into their sites and changeing a p/w there.

That is correct, you need to manually change the password and use 1Password's password generator to help you pick a strong random password that won't match others. We do have a guide on how to change the password here: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/change-password.html

1Password will remember these passwords for you while you only need to remember one password or 1Password. :smile:

However, that does beg the question you're asking, if you can't remember all of the passwords, how can you use it on other computers without 1Password?

That's the tradeoff right now, you do need to use 1Password to grab the new passwords. The one thing that helps is that 1Password is available on many platforms. We offer 1Password for Android and iOS, you can use 1Password on your smartphone to get the password and type it on the computer without 1Password.

We're working on 1Password for Families service right now that will let you access your 1Password database via a web site as well, so you can use it on other computers.

However, for all of your personal Mac and PCs, you can install 1Password and let it handle the job for you.

Am I making this too hard? No help in user manual on this issue.

No, you're doing the right thing by asking and trying to understand how this all fits with your daily process.

There's a quick start guide you can go through if you haven't done so: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/quick-start.html

Finally, is there any way to print out a list of accounts with their passwords -- just in case!

Yes, I would recommend doing this on the Mac because there are additional security features in place when printing that doesn't exist on Windows, which is why we don't support printing there.

Open 1Password on your Mac and go to the File Menu > Print.

Let us know if you have more questions.

This discussion has been closed.