App crashes on entry of correct master password

stuntboots
stuntboots
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi there,

My Windows 10 beta 1Password crashes when I attempt to login. However it doesn't if I get the password wrong. I'm part of a team, and have a synced Dropbox file as well. If it's relevant!

Thanks in advance for any help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited March 2016

@stuntboots sorry app misbehaves, can you please run this in browser op://help to open Help page directly (without logging in) and then click Support\Email 3 Days logs to open your email client and attach logs. In case logs are not attached (we know that happens with desktop mail clients), click More\Open crashes folder and send us crash files directly. That will help engineering to figure out what went wrong and fix it asap. Thanks in advance!

• stuntboots
    stuntboots
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile Heya! I can't seem to access the browser as the app crashes when I try to login. Is that what you mean? All I can see is the big lock and the text input.

• @stuntboots I was referring to regular browser or, if you are on desktop windows, you can press Windows+R and type there op://help that will work too.

• stuntboots
    stuntboots
    Community Member

No worries, I've emailed those across!

• Thanks, got it, investigating now

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @dahanbn, we're trying replicate and find the root cause of this issue now.

• @stuntboots & @dahanbn did you guys ever tried to change your 1Password Account password or used "Upgrade keys" button in admin console? I suspect that might be the reason for the crashes and fixing it now, but would love to have some confirmation that I've found the right cause.

• FWIW, I love this bug, it helped to find and fix few others but we are still trying to reproduce the one that cause grief.

• stuntboots
    stuntboots
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile Yep, I have tried to change my account password. I went through quite a nightmare of getting it to work across devices until finally how the team accounts and personal accounts all click together!

• sevus
    sevus
    Community Member

Same crash and error as @dahanbn here.
    Exception 0x80004002: System.InvalidCastException: Arg_InvalidCastException, Message=Arg_InvalidCastException!
    Loosely correlates with applying this weeks Windows updates.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sevus, thanks for chiming in. We're looking into this issue right now and will hopefully have some news for you soon.

• miniskulljob
    miniskulljob
    Community Member

Same problem here. Whenever I enter my password, the app crashes :'(

• @miniskulljob sorry about that, we hope to fix that with next update. For some reason it works on our machines and we can not reproduce it so far. Some recent changes in system made crash logs less useful than they were before. So we went ahead and reviewed almost every line of code that might be responsible and improved lots of places. We are working around the clock to get everything back together to release an update.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

@miniskulljob, @sevus, @dahanbn, @stuntboots
    We think we've got a fix for this issue so please update to the latest build and let us know if you're still experiencing this issue.

• miniskulljob
    miniskulljob
    Community Member

It works like a charm now, thank you :)

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

@miniskulljob, Awesome! Thanks for reporting the issue and helping us fix it.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dahanbn, the latest build required you to re-enter your account information because of significant changes we made to the database. These changes were absolutely necessary and not something that will occur often, so you won't need to worry about re-entering your information with each new build.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member

Hello !
    I juste send a few report myself, since my 1Password app keep crashing today. Even after a new install :-(

• @Grishkaone thanks for sending reports, but I still can't see anything in the inbox. Could you please try again and confirm that you are using support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com address.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Hello @SergeyTheAgile
    Unfortunately, I had already deleted the app in order to reboot and install it again. Fortunately (if I dare say), the app is still crashing. I've send the relative reports by mail, correctly this time :-)
    It may be interesting to note that the first account I'm trying to open is 1Password Family (after, I plan to open my main vault to sync the content online on the family vault).

• @Grishkaone I've added more logging at few places in the app and in the process of submitting Beta 22 (2016.3.2100) to the Store now, it should be there in an hour or two. I hope it would crash again and you will be able to send us logs. If it doesn't crash - please send logs too, I had to temporarily silence errors in two places so app will not crash, but it wont decrypt data.

Generally we prefer to crash when app or system fails to perform as expected. That is the only reliable way for us to learn when app misbehaves. We could silence errors and ignore them (this is so tempting), but then you will be working on the app with unpredictable state and that might corrupt/compromise your data. This is why we do not silence or ignore errors.

• Grishkaone
    Grishkaone
    Community Member

Hi @SergeyTheAgile
    App are up to date, and there is some new stuff. I've just sent crash reports, live reports and screenshot to you. It's crashing less, and not at the same point : first login is fine, but login in when the app locked itself on the background keep failing.

• @Grishkaone thanks a lot, I've fixed login crash already and looking at shared vault decryption issue, expect an update soon!

This discussion has been closed.