Brute Force...

I didn't know my 1password vault would close automatically, I have my password but I'm afraid I don't know what variation I may have used. Is there some sort of program I could use to run the possible two thousand variations on the 1password program? =[

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I brute force my vault?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ArthurWPatterson3: Possibly, but that's not something that we offer I'm afraid. I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. No information about your Master Password is ever sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. Nor do we have any information about your Master Password we could use to help you find it. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information, even if we were the only ones who could exploit it. This way, no one, not even someone at AgileBits, can read your secure data. And if your Master Password was long, strong, and unique, it won't be possible to brute force it in your lifetime anyway. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• Hi @ArthurWPatterson3,

There's a tool called Hashcat (you can also try JtR-jumbo) you can download and give it the precise combination that you know your password to be, it should be able to cut down from millions of years to days or hours depending on how precise you can get down on how long your password is, how many digits, combo, etc.

We talked about Hashcat in our blog here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2013/04/16/1password-hashcat-strong-master-passwords/

This discussion has been closed.