One time passwords on Windows not in Sync with iOS/Mac!

I just installed 1Password on Windows. I used dropbox as my sync and I've noticed that all the one-time passwords within 1P on Windows do not match those on my iOS device. The ones on the iOS device are correct and I'm majorly concerned that Windows will somehow over write and sync at somepoint which will destroy all my 2FA access!

How do I correct the OTP on Windows, and quickly!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikeormerod: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password doesn't sync any TOTP codes (so there's no way it could sync the "wrong one"); rather, it syncs the TOTP secret, which is then used along with the system timer to generate the code...so it's going to be something with the date and time on your devices.

Please go into the date and time settings in both Windows and iOS and set them so that they match. I suspect that iOS is the culprit, and that maybe it's an iPad since there have been a lot of issues with the "automatic" time setting on Wi-Fi. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• mikeormerod
    mikeormerod
    Community Member

Hi @brenty. I checked and both the Windows laptop and my Mac are set to the same timezone US East. I do notice that there is maybe a 30 sec difference in the actual time shown between the Windows laptop and my Air even though there are both set to use the internet to set the time, could that be the culprit?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mikeormerod: Precisely! Since the TOTP codes are often only good for roughly 30 seconds, that could easily result in you getting one that was already expired on a device (if the clock is too slow) or one that isn't yet valid (if the clock is too fast). Have you tried forcing each device to set the time again? You can also set it manually or, if you're able to establish the pattern, you may be able to simply wait a short while before using a code so that it's valid.

• mikeormerod
    mikeormerod
    Community Member

@brenty. Ok so I manually set the time on the Windows machine to match my Mac precisely and the OTP's are now consistent, so thanks!

• MikeT
    edited March 2016

That's great to hear. I would double check to see which time server both of your computers are using, time servers are supposed to keep everything in sync and setting a time zone may not be enough to resolve this.

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.