1Password extension shows a red badge, can't load my data from other PC

sed_1password
sed_1password
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi - just purchased 1password 4. Having problem accessing it from my work computer. I have the extension installed. Help...getting frustrated. Sideth

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sed_1password!

Thanks for taking the time to write to us! Is your computer running Windows 7? What happens when you try to use 1Password?

Thanks!

• sed_1password
    sed_1password
    Community Member

Yes...window 7. It work on my computer fine...it's when I try to access from another computer. I've downloaded the extension and I've also synced it on my dropbox. When I'm on my work computer...I see the key in the chrome extension with a red bang!

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @sed_1password!

Thanks for verifying the version of Windows you're using and letting us know what's going on :) I'm going to move this over to our Windows forum (and out of the 1Password Families forum), where you'll get the help you need!

• Hi @sed_1Password,

Did you install the main 1Password program on the work computer? If yes, can you unlock the program and confirm you can see your data from your personal computer? The extension requires the main 1Password program to be installed locally.

The red bang usually means the extension cannot connect or find the main 1Password Helper that should be running on your PC.

• sed_1password
    sed_1password
    Community Member

So what you are saying is...I have to install the program on every PC I want to use 1password. It's not like Dropbox where you can login on any PC. I know what the red bang means, the question is how do I get around it. Every time I click on the extension key it ask me to enter the Master password to unlock. Note: i'm on my work PC and not personal PC. Everything work fine on my PC.

• sed_1password
    sed_1password
    Community Member

From my research I"m missing the 1password.html file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So what you are saying is...I have to install the program on every PC I want to use 1password.

@sed_1password: Precisely! The 1Password extension is just that — an extension of the main 1Password app, which cannot function by itself. If you install 1Password though (which supports Windows 7 and up), the extension will be able to connect to 1Password, thus eliminating the red badge.

From my research I"m missing the 1password.html file.

It sounds like you're referring to 1PasswordAnywhere. I'm sorry for the confusion! That was a feature created as part of 1Password for Mac version 3 in 2009, which has since been discontinued, due to security concerns, and because it isn't compatible with the newer OPVault format.

• sed_1password
    sed_1password
    Community Member

Arrrrrrrrgg. OK...Not as convenience but I rather be safe over convenience.

• Hi @sed_1Password,

A safer alternative is coming via the 1Password for Families service in the future for Windows customers, you'll be able to use the service within the browser without requiring an extension or the main program on computers you do not want to install 1Password on.

We do plan to expand this further with a potential self-contained extension using that service but that's far away.

This discussion has been closed.