import entries to vault on PC

Options
jaimeson
jaimeson
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm a current 1 password user on Windows. Vault stored in dropbox. I want to use the families app. I downloaded the new app, set up a team (Families? are they the same?) account, and am able to see my passwords in the new app, but when I look at my 1password account on my PC, i see a personal vault and a shared vault, neither of which have entries in them. How do I get my vault data from the app into the shared vault? I've invited my husband and want him to be able to have access to these entries. We'll want to do the same thing with his vault (he's on a Mac) when he joins the team. How do I do this?

Also, I created a new master password for the team account, so now I seem to have it for the web-based team account and my old master is still required on the app. Is this OK or should they be the same?

Do I need to change anything in Google Chrome to access my data via the new app?

1Password Version: 2016.3.1600
Extension Version: 4.5.4.90
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:teams-admin-access-control, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:teams-admin-getting-started, kb:teams-faq-existing-user, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to mention that when I'm in the app and follow the instructions for migrating passwords from 1 vault to another, it goes through every password and fails to copy every one of them from app vault (Dropbox) to my shared vault.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jaimeson,

First, let me focus on your migration issue. This may be a new bug we've just found and will fix in the next update. To confirm this, can you click on Settings > Help on the bottom left and tell me if on the bottom if it says "Incorrect Version value has been sent"?

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see that message, but it looks like some type of log file. IThere are lots of Read messages, with some Ignoring system.folder.regular.... messages sprinkled throughout.

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Windows firewall and antivirus. Don't know what a proxy server is, so I'm guessing I'm not using one??? I am still running the old version of 1 password or Windows though - the 4.6.0.604. I didn't want to get rid of it yet.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaimeson, you should see this message if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the help page, and you should see the message repeated multiple times. If you do not see "Incorrect Version value has been sent" at all, then click the "call for help" button and send us your logs so that we can correctly diagnose the issue.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just received your logs @Jameson, thanks!

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

BTW - I invited my husband and he's been trying to set up the app on his iPhone. He types in a master password (I guess of his choosing) and then it asks him to log in. We've both tried it multiple times, but it always says the master password is incorrect when he tries to log in.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaimeson Is he unable to login on his iPhone or Windows 10 device?

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

His iPhone. He just got on from his Mac - not sure which OS.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaimeson Is he able to access your Team from a desktop browser (chrome, firefox, edge)?

Is this the master password he's entering being used to unlock the 1Password app, or to log in to your Team account? Hey may need to accept and setup his account on your Team from a browser before he can sign in to it in the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

@jaimeson: I'm confused. 4.6.0.604 is the current version of 1Password. Are you using something else?

Regardless, you'll need to make sure that any "security" software is not preventing 1Password from communicating with the extension. Please follow the steps in this guide to check your setup:

## What to do if the 1Password browser extension doesn’t work

Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

Edit: responded as part of a separate discussion

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - I didn't notice that I was answering an old post. My 3/17 post is in response to a question about a problem with 1password for teams.

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

Yes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This discussion was created from comments split from: Nothing happens when I click on 1Password button in Chrome.

@jaimeson: Thanks for confirming! It's a bit confusing, but I've merged this with the original discussion so we can get things sorted out for you.

Getting back you your issue, can you tell me where you are in the process of migrating your data from the Dropbox vault to your 1Password for Families vault(s)?

Migrate to a Family or Team account

And to be clear, the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app (like other Windows Store apps) cannot integrate with Chrome (or other apps).

Let us know where you're at and we'll help you get everything setup. :)

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

I created the team account with the free trial. Invited my husband and he accepted. I confirmed. I downloaded the Windows 10 app to my desktop PC. I use Chrome for browsing, but opened the Windows 10 app standalone - that's fine, right?

I opened my Windows 10 app, and can see my dropbox vault with all of my entries, as well as the team personal and shared accounts, neither of which have any entries in them. My husband downloaded an app for his Mac for team and can also see his dropbox vault and my dropbox vault (I shared it with him some time ago).

Instead of sharing the dropbox vaults, I wanted to try out the 1 password team option. What I've been trying to do is migrate my data from my dropbox vault into either my personal or shared team vaults. I've tried multiple times to follow the instructions to migrate - in the Windows 10 app, I select all of my dropbox vault entries then click share. I select either the personal or shared vaults, and the process begins, but it tells me there are errors on every single vault entry and the count of files copied stays at 0.

I really want to get the entries into the team shared folder so my husband can see them, and then get his dropbox vault entries into a shared vault so I can see them.

Can you help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I created the team account with the free trial. Invited my husband and he accepted. I confirmed. I downloaded the Windows 10 app to my desktop PC. I use Chrome for browsing, but opened the Windows 10 app standalone - that's fine, right?

@jaimeson: This isn't possible; they're two completely separate apps. You may, however, have only a single desktop/start menu/task bar shortcut to 1Password 4 (the Windows desktop app). The Windows 10 beta is a Windows Store app, so it cannot automatically add shortcuts all over the place. You can, however, open it by searching in the start menu, or from the Windows Store app (if it's installed, you'll have an "Open" button there instead of "Install"), and then if you right-click the task bar icon when it's running, you can pin it there for future use:

You'll want to make sure that you're using the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app (the one on the right in the screenshot, with the white icon) since the 1Password for Windows desktop app (on the left, with a blue and grey icon) cannot yet access 1Password for Families vaults.

I opened my Windows 10 app, and can see my dropbox vault with all of my entries, as well as the team personal and shared accounts, neither of which have any entries in them. My husband downloaded an app for his Mac for team and can also see his dropbox vault and my dropbox vault (I shared it with him some time ago).

Great! So far so good. :)

Instead of sharing the dropbox vaults, I wanted to try out the 1 password team option. What I've been trying to do is migrate my data from my dropbox vault into either my personal or shared team vaults. I've tried multiple times to follow the instructions to migrate - in the Windows 10 app, I select all of my dropbox vault entries then click share. I select either the personal or shared vaults, and the process begins, but it tells me there are errors on every single vault entry and the count of files copied stays at 0.

D'oh! That's not good at all. I'm really sorry that isn't working correctly for you. :(

I really want to get the entries into the team shared folder so my husband can see them, and then get his dropbox vault entries into a shared vault so I can see them. Can you help?

It sounds like you want to get all of the shared data from both of you into the "Shared" vault in 1Password for Families. Is that correct? Right now it sounds like the obstacle is that you're simply unable to successfully copy them over. Are you receiving an error? I'll have the development team look into this. We'll get it sorted out for you! :)

• @jaimeson there is an open issue with copy feature in Windows 10 app, it fails when the target vault is new. While we are making a fix, there is an easy workaround - just create any item through the web app (you can delete item if you don't need it). Then you can use copy in Windows 10 app to bring your items from legacy vaults to 1Password for Family/Teams. Sorry for the inconvenience :)

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

I opened my Windows 10 app and select my shared vault. I clicked Add to add a login entry, entered the login name, the password and username, then clicked save. I got an error message saying it had failed to save to the server and to try again. I did, got same error. Switched to personal vault and tried twice, same error both times. Then noticed that there were two entries in the list, so apparently even though it told me each time I saved that it wasn't saved, it was doing it (first or second try? not sure).

So then I tried selecting all the entries from my dropbox vault and sharing them. Same problem as before - all failed when being copied. Tried to share with both my personal and my shared vault. So the workaround isn't working for me.

• @jaimeson the add workaround should have been performed in web app, not Windows 10 app :) But that does not matter now, we have released an update to Windows 10 app that should fix your issue, please "Check for updates" in the Store app to get 1Password Beta 2016.3.2000 or higher and try again. Hope this helps :)

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

What do I need to do in Chrome to have it recognize and use the shared vault instead of the dropbox vault?

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

It is copying them now. What functions should be done in the Windows 10 app and which in the web app?

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

39 of the entries failed to copy, but I don't know which ones or why. How do I find out?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaimeson the entries that failed to copy will have a red exclamation mark next to them, and will also remain selected. All you need to do to try copying them over again is click on the "share" button and select the vault.

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

I had other questions that weren't answered: which functions should be done in the Windows 10 app and which in the web app? what do I need to do in Chrome to have it recognize and use the shared vault instead of the dropbox vault? Thanks.

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

Another question about the copying...after I copied the entries from my dropbox vault to my shared vault in the web app, my dropbox vault doesn't appear in the web app. So I have no way of knowing which entries did not copy.

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

On the copied entries, it looks like many of the entries' URLs weren't copied into the entries in the shared vault. Why not?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had other questions that weren't answered:

@jaimeson sorry about that, I'll try to answer all your questions point-by-point now.

which functions should be done in the Windows 10 app and which in the web app? what do I need to do in Chrome to have it recognize and use the shared vault instead of the dropbox vault? Thanks.

The web app is used more for management of the Team. Inviting new members, giving access to vaults, restoring accounts, generating new security keys, etc. The Windows 10 app and web app can both be used to add/edit items and generate new passwords, but it is often easier and faster to do this through the app. The Windows 10 app can also fill, but only with 1Browser.

Another question about the copying...after I copied the entries from my dropbox vault to my shared vault in the web app, my dropbox vault doesn't appear in the web app. So I have no way of knowing which entries did not copy.

When we copy, all we're doing is copying only copies items not vaults. The best way to know what items didn't copy, would be review what items are left highlighted immediately after the copy finishes, but it seems like we've missed that chance. The next best thing is to just look at the item count in the categories list logins, credit cards, etc, and see what categories are missing items.

On the copied entries, it looks like many of the entries' URLs weren't copied into the entries in the shared vault. Why not?

What item types are they? is this a consistent issue, or do you see some items with URLs and others without?

• jaimeson
    jaimeson
    Community Member
    Options

Is the Windows 10 app meant to replace the 1Password for Windows v 4.6.0.604 that I currently use? Is 1Browser the Chrome extension that I have now (1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.5.5.90) and use to go to urls and fill in information? If so, it's still connecting to my dropbox vault, not the new shared vault. So I'm not sure how to use 1Password for Teams within Google.

I missed the chance to see what items were not copied because the web app locked during the copying process and when I re-entered my password, the window showing which entries copied and which did not was no longer visible.

I assumed each of the entries I shared with my shared vault would also still show up in the web app under the dropbox vault, the way they did before I shared them. But now when I look at all of my vaults in the web app, there are only 2 - personal and shared. Before the copy there were 3 - personal, shared, and 1Password@Dropbox (or something like that). What happened to the @Dropbox vault after I shared the entries? At least that one had my urls in the entries.

I had over 500 entries to share from my Dropbox vault, and almost none of them copied over the URL to the shared vault, which pretty much makes it useless.

I'm about ready to throw in the towel...

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaimeson

Is the Windows 10 app meant to replace the 1Password for Windows v 4.6.0.604 that I currently use? Is 1Browser the Chrome extension that I have now (1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.5.5.90) and use to go to urls and fill in information? If so, it's still connecting to my dropbox vault, not the new shared vault. So I'm not sure how to use 1Password for Teams within Google.

For the time being, the two apps will live side-by-side. You can edit your Dropbox and Onedrive vaults on the 1Password for Windows 4, and the Windows 10 app can edit vaults on your Team/Family account. 1Password for Windows 4 cannot see or use any vault on your Team (shared), but this vault should be visible and accessible from the Windows 10 app. As for extensions, we still don't use them in the WIndows 10 app, but we hope to implement this soon.

I missed the chance to see what items were not copied because the web app locked during the copying process and when I re-entered my password, the window showing which entries copied and which did not was no longer visible.

Unfortunately, there's no way to re-review copy results and you'll need to compare item counts on your shared vault and dropbox vault

Look here:
    category list

If there are many items missing, you can just delete the items in your shared vault and re-copy them from your dropbox

I assumed each of the entries I shared with my shared vault would also still show up in the web app under the dropbox vault, the way they did before I shared them. But now when I look at all of my vaults in the web app, there are only 2 - personal and shared. Before the copy there were 3 - personal, shared, and 1Password@Dropbox (or something like that). What happened to the @Dropbox vault after I shared the entries? At least that one had my urls in the entries.

I am not sure what occurred with the @dropbox vault but since no data was lost, you can easily recreate this vault and copy your items to it again.

I had over 500 entries to share from my Dropbox vault, and almost none of them copied over the URL to the shared vault, which pretty much makes it useless.

Where these login item types?

This discussion has been closed.