Only sharing options are AirDrop or Print (email, message options restored: iOS v6.4.2, Mac v6.3.1)

Options

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, @ManFromAustin. Unfortunately this feature just simply didn't provide enough level of security to continue to provide it to the masses. If you're comfortable with the level of security of iMessage you're welcome to continue to send 1Password information that way by copying & pasting. We would definitely recommend turning off SMS fallback if you're going to do so, though.

Ben

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for great disappointment here. This was for me one of the most useful functions in 1Password.

Could you re-add it as an opt-in option for people who know what they're doing? I know who to trust when sharing a secure item and it made things so much easier than trying to compose a message with "Username: blah and Password: Gah". Error-free. Simple for the other person. Simple for me.

Even if you pop up a dialog that says ARE YOU SURE in big red letters with a picture of a skull and crossbones EVERY TIME it would be quicker and less error-prone.

Please please please. PLEEEEASE! Or at least let me downgrade to the last version that supported it.

• jayd
    jayd
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps you missed the final two paragraphs of my last comment, @SecretSquirrel. Allow me to sum it up for you:

I have found the shared vault functionality a great resolution for my particular situation. However, I fully recognize that which works for me is not a good option for all situations. I still believe AgileBits made the wrong decision in removing the simple per-entry sharing functionality and implore them to bring it back.

You (and many previous commenters) make very valid points, to which I agree. @jpgoldberg also makes very valid points, to which I agree. Fortunately, we live in a world where all of those points are not mutually exclusive. There are options (noted in this thread, plus many more) to implement the functionality while addressing the concerns of both sides. I strongly hope AgileBits reconsiders their position and the sharing functionality comes back.

Jay

• RED75
    RED75
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I agree that this is a loss of functionality . Sharing a single password via email or SMS is at times very useful even if an infrequent need . I don't need a more comprehensive solution of shared vaults or 1password for families which is subscription based. The security risk of using pasted unencrypted passwords via iMessenger seems less secure and I think this move will drive some people to more unsafe actions like sending screen shots via SMS with passwords revealed .

Choosing to share a single password was a convenience and security choice that is now removed. As such it feels like a strategic shift to subscription only functionality.

Is there no other solution to this loss of function that is secure & doesn't drive customers to subscriptions ?

I have been a customer for some years and this is the first instance where a change has led me to engage on the forum.

• jestech
    jestech
    Community Member
    Options

I totally agree with @nixta; please bring it back in some way. It was convenient and useful. Users should take responsibility for the way they share the data, not the App. Pleeeeeease, bring it back guys. It's such a disappointing development on an otherwise flawless track record for 1Password. I'm a huge fan, I have it installed on every single one of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, my Mac, and my Windows 10 PC) and I recommend it to every single person I know.

Just like @RED75, this development motivated me enough to come here and write this post.

Thanks for an amazing job with this App anyways! (But, please, please please, consider bringing it back in some way)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nixta, @RED75, and @jestech: thank you all for the feedback, and I'm sorry that this change has inconvenienced you.

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid it's more than an inconvenience now that I've had to use the suggested work-around that @bwoodruff made. While I trust iMessage not to leak that in transmission, there is now a plain-text password sitting in a message thread between myself and my wife. Previously there would have been a garbled link that I would not have been concerned about someone glancing at over a shoulder.

In that way you're actually making things less secure. Think ATM PIN theft.

Again, please restore this functionality, even if you require my TouchID each time I use it.

In addition, could you explain what the Share option does now? It just seems to open a blank item for any app I try to share via.

Lastly, and I asked this on Twitter, but where in the release notes was it mentioned that you had removed this functionality? I couldn't find anything, but your iOS release notes are a little obscure. I would likely not have updated had I noticed, but that might just be on me for not reading them thoroughly enough.

• Ben
    Options

v6.4 is when this change was made.

In addition, could you explain what the Share option does now? It just seems to open a blank item for any app I try to share via.

You should have options for sharing via AirDrop or printing. Do you not see that?

(But, please, please please, consider bringing it back in some way)

We had hoped to develop a secure item sharing mechanism that we were happy with. We have thus far not been able to accomplish that outside of an environment where we store the encrypted data (1Password for Families & 1Password for Teams).

The best way to share items securely is by using one of these services. I understand that does not necessarily check all the same boxes as this feature did, but so far we have not been able to develop a replacement that does, and keeping the original implementation was untenable.

I'm sorry that there is not a more drop-in replacement, but we couldn't continue to provide a feature that did not meet our current security standards.

Ben

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone interested (and AgileBits members should have really pasted this themselves), here is a much more in-depth discussion with great points and explanations from both sides of the fence.

I'll keep my thoughts going there.

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I understand your concern about having something that looks secure but isn't as an option, but none of the solutions are even remotely as convenient and all you're doing is tempting people to copy and paste username and password in clear text into email and iMessage (and at the other end, who knows where they'll get pasted). While plain text logins in an iMessage thread are inherently neither more not less secure than an obfuscated 1Password link (unless the app is open), the impact is worse:

• What I knew before was that if a notification popped up on the recipient's phone while they were away from their desk that no-one could read the username or password.
    • I also knew that if I had notes or URLs embedded that they would be included too.
    • I also knew the recipient would just have to tap the item to add it to their 1Password, which encouraged them to adopt 1Password, which prompted them to learn about the importance of security in their day-to-day.

Now I need to make sure the recipient isn't going to have their phone in view of anyone when I send the message, or I need to know that they have notifications turned off. And I'd like to know that when they read the message that they do so in private. Think ATM PIN theft.

Now, for most people, it will be too complicated. If they're going to copy and paste passwords, I fear a lot of people will just add them to Notes or a Word doc instead. Having a clickable URL encouraged them to store the information in their own secure 1Password vault. They didn't have to worry about its security, about 1Password vs Notes. Yes, they might paste the URL into Notes, but they won't because clicking is just easier and opens 1Password.

What you were doing was making security an "It just works" kind of thing. This is in my opinion (and I know you don't share it, and really who am I to say you're wrong and I'm right) a big step backwards.

I used to recommend 1Password to everyone, largely for this reason. I don't think I can now. The convenience of ad-hoc sharing of 1Password content was a huge selling point. Without that, many people won't see the benefit. And yes, that benefit is a hook. It prompts them to ask "why this garbled link?" after which you can see them working out what other things they're doing wrong and adopting security more broadly. It was a good thing.

Please, at least let me as the sender opt in to allowing this kind of transmission of encapsulated 1Password records. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm sharp enough to make this decision for myself.

Oh, and I love your suite of software still, and I love your responsiveness in the forums and on Twitter. Thank you for that. But even so, please add a check box with warnings and TouchID protection and more warnings and entering an encryption key, but let me eventually click that "Share" option to send a URL.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• crazyninjamaster
    crazyninjamaster
    Community Member
    Options

I have used 1Password for a little over a year now. I have family members that also use it. In the very recent past I have been able to send an encrypted single item info link to another 1Password user through Messages or Email on my phone and computer. I now only see the Airdrop option, Add to Notes, Add to Reminders, and Print. There is no place to send a message link anymore. Is this from a recent update? Or this something that should be there and I no longer see it for some reason? Is there a way to easily send encrypted info to someone that isn't on the same wireless network as I am?

1Password Version: 6.4 iOS, 6.2.1 Mac
    Extension Version: 4.5.5
    OS Version: iOS 9.3.1, Mac 10.11.4
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: ug:ios/creating-items, ug:ios/create-a-login-item, ug:ios/pro-features, kb-search:sharing, kb:share-vault

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @jayd.

And my apologies for not making it clear that I was responding to one particular sentence of @SecretSquirrel's comment instead of to the comment as a whole.

And thank you @nixta. We would actually have loved to keep "Message" as iMessage is a sufficiently secure channel. But there is no way for us to know whether it will go by iMessage (secure) or SMS (which is easy to intercept).

Anyway, we hear you all loud and clear: Let people make an informed choice.

I can't promise if or when we will be able to do this. But it is a message we have received.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @crazyninjamaster

I've merged your message with another on the same topic. Please see the discussion above.

Ben

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member
    Options

It is a shame that the "messages" sharing feature has been removed - but then also not such a surprise. Claiming the security issue is a good point but you completely took away the choice for your customer, not even leaving an option with a warning. That leads to the assumption that it is not really about security but about Agilebits wanting to sell more 1Password Families/Team subscriptions. Bummer :(

• jayd
    jayd
    Community Member
    Options

@swisschris and @SecretSquirrel, I dunno. I have never seen AgileBits do anything sleazy like that. Is it possible this is a marketing ploy? Sure. They are not perfect (nobody is), but they do not have a track record of anything like that. In fact, they have a track record of being quite fair and looking out for their customers. The fact that @jpgoldberg is personally responding on this thread further points to AgileBits not pulling something sleazy here. How about we give them the benefit of the doubt, instead of going straight to assuming the worst.

Removing the simple per-entry sharing option was a mistake. I strongly feel it needs to come back (in some form) and there are reasonable options to make that happen. @jpgoldberg says we have been heard and I see no history of evidence to call shenanigans on that. All considered, I think it is best to give them a little time to do the right thing.

Not everything is a conspiracy; sometimes it is just a mistake.

• jayd
    jayd
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that "benefit of the doubt" is earned, and in my eyes AgileBits has earned it with their honest track record and @jpgoldberg participating in this thread. In a couple of months' time, their ACTIONS will show whether this benefit was misplaced or not. Even if the feature removal were due to marketing reasons, which I do not yet believe to be the case, I believe AgileBits' track record affords them a little leeway to learn from a mistake and make it right. We all have made a mistake before.

Of course, customers may proceed as they individually see fit. My own stance will be to give AgileBits the benefit of the doubt, thank @jpgoldberg for listening and responding, and give them a little time to make things right.

Jay

• Rzocohen
    Rzocohen
    Community Member
    Options

I can no longer use text or email to share an encrypted entry with someone from my iPhone or iPad. Also what happened to the about section that tells what version of 1Password my iPhone is using?

1Password Version: 6.4
    Extension Version: ??
    OS Version: 9.3.1
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:what happened to the ability to share a single entry with someone?

• Rzocohen
    Rzocohen
    Community Member
    Options

your website used to be very easy to find things. now it is very inconsistent. I asked a question (how to find the 1Password version) and it showed me answers about 1Password for windows, but then i noticed icons to select a phone. the next question (how to find the extension version) also answered about the windows version, but this time no icon to switch to the iPhone version of safari.

• jayd
    jayd
    Community Member
    Options

I hear what you are saying, @SecretSquirrel, but if one has literally lost trust in AgileBits, then one should not be using any of their products at all. 1Password stores some of our most sensitive and confidential data; that is its fundamental purpose. Having some trust in the folks who make 1Password is inherent in using their product.

Anyone who feels AgileBits now "cannot be trusted," as you state, would certainly not continue using their product to store critically sensitive information. If that is the case, then nothing AgileBits says or does now will make any difference - that person would never trust such sensitive information to the company or its products again.

Fortunately, I do not believe AgileBits "cannot be trusted." I believe they made a mistake and I will trust them to make it right. I am still a 1Password lover, even with its presently-severed limb (feature). Based on their track record, I will give them the benefit of the doubt to bring on some security surgery and restore the per-entry sharing functionality. Soon enough, their actions will show whether this trust is maintained.

• jayd
    jayd
    Community Member
    Options

I do not have any pre-determined notion of how long to wait. I would be elated if AgileBits gave this issue priority and released an interim update in the next week or two. I also think waiting a month or two would be "fair," as I have zero knowledge of 1Password's internal development process. More than that and I would start feeling concerned.

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member
    Options

@jayd @SecretSquirrel
    I agree on much you said, yes I am happy to see that the users respond and the developer says he heard them - let's see if action reflects that and in what timeframe!
    My upset is with how it happened (no info to the users in the update notes) and the argument on security which is by default debatable if we share information on messaging channels or even put information to the cloud.
    1password has a good reputation of being secure and easy to use but lately many new features came as subscriptions to family and team plans. Less has been done to enhance non cloud dependent features, as example to bring same/similar functionality to WiFi syncing for those who do not want to use a cloud based service or have other security concerns.

• scottkwiggins
    scottkwiggins
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps since you now have the Agilebits Teams/Families servers running and have removed a must used and needed function from all of us trying to use and share passwords with people that my not be in our Team or Family circles, you could make a Sharing function with the use of Push Notifications in 1Password to allow users to share securely through your servers! This would be a great solution, I think, for all of us.

Thank you for your consideration.

Scott

This discussion has been closed.