Only sharing options are AirDrop or Print (email, message options restored: iOS v6.4.2, Mac v6.3.1)

Options

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rzocohen,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. For your first question, I'd recommend you to take a look at this thread where we address why the ability to share via messages has been removed: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63689/share-via-messages-no-longer-an-option-correct-best-way-to-share-when-not-near-person

I'm sorry that you find the organisation of the page confusing, I've given your input to our documentation team. We want to make 1Password as easy to use as possible!

You can check what version of 1Password you're running on the bottom of the Settings page, right before "Advanced".

Please let us know if you have any more questions or there’s anything else we can do for you :chuffed:

• Ben
    Options

@scottkwiggins

We'd love to be able to do something like that. Hopefully at some point down the road. :)

Ben

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @swisschris ,

I just want to confirm we have no intentions of ignoring the (for lack of a better term) standalone version of 1Password. 1Password for Families and Teams, being a new offering, naturally demands a fair bit of attention, as would any new product, so I certainly understand how it would seem like we would be shifting our attention towards teams and families.

But I want to assure you that this is not a shift. We still have plans for enhancing the standalone version in both the near and distant future.

Regards,
    Kevin

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin
    Thank you for the confirmation ;)
    No doubt - new offerings take away resources and attention from your core product... and yes I understand that the cloud and subscription services are financially interesting. But they are not as important as the core product which should be on it's own independent, secure and able to operate fully user controlled with other clients in a closed environment.
    So, let's see what you guys will have for us - non cloud subscribers - in the near and distant future.
    Regards,
    Chris

• Ben
    Options

But they are not as important as the core product which should be on it's own independent, secure and able to operate fully user controlled with other clients in a closed environment.

(emphasis mine)

And that is why this feature was removed. Plain and simple. Folks can throw assertions around if they'd like, but this is the truth of it.

So, let's see what you guys will have for us - non cloud subscribers - in the near and distant future.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have faith that we will not disappoint. The apps are the foundation of 1Password and will continue to be a very important part of our offerings.

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

P.S. I've moved this to the Lounge from the Mac Beta forum, as this change doesn't only affect the Mac Beta. It affects both Mac and iOS.

Ben

• Rzocohen
    Rzocohen
    Community Member
    Options

when will you be removing the feature from 1Password for windows? I am running version 4.6.0.604.

• Ben
    Options

@SecretSquirrel,

As far as I'm aware installing an older version of an app is not possible on iOS. Even if it were, I'm not sure that is something we'd be able to recommend. We would always encourage folks to run the latest version of the software.

@Rzocohen,

I'm sorry but I don't have any specific timeline on changes that may or may not come to the 1Password 4 for Windows product. Our current focus is on delivering a brand new application for Windows.

Thanks.

Ben

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff @SecretSquirrel
    The only way to bring back the old version on iOS is either if AgileBits provides it via the Appstore - which wouldn't make much sense - or if you have it in in your own backup of your Mac/PC (in the iTunes iOS apps folder).

In any case a hassle and frankly as quickly as the feature has been removed one would expect it to be as quickly returned... if the "voice of the users" on this specific topic is considered really that important by the developer.

I think the feedback on this incident speaks for itself, no need to further argue. But hey, how about some ideas on how to make the sharing more secure or recognizable?
    Most simple: just show a warning pop up to the user which informs him/her about the risk.
    Later on; add an encrypted sharing feature, exchange keys via camera & QR code or text.
    Others?

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff Frankly I don't think @SecretSquirrel would be very interested in what you would recommend. I agree with him that you are acting like a nanny state with this decision. It is similar to the limit of 4 hours imposed on application timeout.
    @SecretSquirrel I don't know your situation but if you backup to iTunes you may have a previous version in there that you can possibly copy over. I've just checked my iTunes and it has v6.2.1

• GoB
    GoB
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot send 1passwort items via imessage. What can I do to reactivate this excellent feature?

1Password Version: newest
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: newest iOS
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: kb-search:Imessage, kb:share-vault, kb:teams-admin-getting-started, kb-search:Imessage, kb:share-vault

• ag_kevin
    Options

@SecretSquirrel , we actually did have a lot of discussion around iMessage and the fact that it is secure — most of the time. One of the reasons that we didn't leave the feature in was this: when iMessage is down, or there are Internet connectivity problems, iMessage defaults to SMS, which is not very secure. We can't tell customers that it's safe to send via iMessage when it can easily fall back to SMS, especially when it may not fall back to SMS until after the customer taps Send.

@GoB, unfortunately, we can't commit to when this feature will return. We must devise a method to do it securely before we can consider bringing it back.

• GoB
    GoB
    Community Member
    Options

By default an iPhone will not send an imessage as sms. The user can decide to switch this feature on.
    On the other side: In a team it was possible to send an item secure via imessage. Now there is nothing left to share besides using several inconvenient options.
    Why not let the user decide. You could by default switch imessage off and post a warning when switched on by user.

• dazzlebit
    dazzlebit
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed that I can't share my passwords via iMessage any longer. According to @ag_kevin a possible SMS fallback is the reason for that. However, you actually can disable the default fallback method in the iOS settings. Why can't 1Password have a setting to turn iMessage sharing back on?
    For me the removal of this sharing function is a complete no-no. To me this looks like AgileBits wants to push people to their subscribed services by cutting functions at one-time purchased licenses.
    Please let (at least optional) iMessage sharing return asap.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi all,

I want to honestly say that we do appreciate all of the feedback, both positive, and negative. We take it all very seriously and consider it all extremely carefully. At present we do not have plans to bring it back in its current form, and have stated the reasons why. But I can promise you that we will consider this and other feedback when planning future enhancements to sharing.

Thanks again, for all of your passionate feedback!

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

Mods, please would you unsubscribe me from this thread? I don't appear to be able to do it myself, and I've had enough of the whingeing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Penelope Pitstop,

Please check your forum messages inbox for details about your request.

• ian_c
    ian_c
    Community Member
    Options

At present we do not have plans to bring it back in its current form, and have stated the reasons why.

Well, this is where we break up, AgileBits. I've been a 1Password advocate for a long time. But dropping this feature and then trying to up-sell me to a subscription model via your twitter account to get back a pale facsimile of this feature (with an huge overheard in switching complexity and multi-vault management complexity) is deplorable.

Like others, I was surprised this feature just dropped out of my iOS and OS X versions of the app. And, like others have stated in this thread, I'm okay controlling when I am and am not exposed to password intercepts. I don't need my software to put the rubber baby buggy bumper around all my interactions with other human beings.

I get you have misgivings about how the feature might be used, but I paid for the feature and I'd like to keep using it. Thanks.

Please bring it back. You can put a big, red warning around it if you want to "help" people understand the risks of using the feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Look, the reason you are getting so much backlash is that the rationale you're providing does not stand up to scrutiny. When you, or anyone, gives a reason for undesired behaviors, and those reasons make no sense, that person's veracity becomes suspect.
    Basically, I don't believe your explanations. The only reason you won't bring iMessage share back is to try to get people into a paid subscription. I, for one, will never subscribe to this paid feature. Since you, realistically, cannot control the copy/paste iMessage workaround, I'll still use iMessage, but without the more convenient share feature.

@SecretSquirrel: It's perfectly understandable that you feel this way, and I don't doubt that I'd have a similar knee-jerk reaction to a change like this in an app that I depend on. However, it's the assertion that this change to sharing is a subscription money-grab which doesn't stand up to scrutiny:

If what you're saying were true, we'd have removed Dropbox sharing (and perhaps sync) from the app. But the fact is that you can still share 1Password vaults securely (that's the operative word here) whether you use 1Password Teams/Families or the standalone apps.

The only truly secure sharing method that 1Password has ever had is still available in the app whether you're a subscriber or license holder. This is undeniably an unpopular change and one we agonized over, but the truth of the reasoning behind it is borne out in the facts.

But dropping this feature and then trying to up-sell me to a subscription model via your twitter account to get back a pale facsimile of this feature (with an huge overheard in switching complexity and multi-vault management complexity) is deplorable.

@ian_c: As mentioned previously, these sharing options were removed for security reasons, not financial. Were that not the case, we'd be incentivized to ensure that 1Password Teams/Families was there to fill this gap, but 1Password Teams/Families doesn't even have a similar item sharing feature to push you to. It has the ability to share full vaults, just as Dropbox has allowed for years.

I'm not sorry to see this change finally happen, only that we don't have a secure alternative to offer everyone — not only those who are technically savvy enough to use something like WhatsApp or GPG, or ensure that iMessage SMS fallback is disabled. If we think not only of ourselves, we'll see that there's a whole world out there of people who will simply tap Share > Mail if it's available without a second thought, but will instead seek advice on how to share securely when it isn't.

This is certainly a problem that deserves a solution. But bringing back problematic sharing options is not it. After all, you're able to share information insecurely by any means you wish regardless. If we bring more item sharing options to 1Password, it will need to be done securely. No one is stopping you from sharing information insecurely; we simply don't want 1Password to actively enable this behaviour.

• mwarner
    mwarner
    Community Member
    Options

This is so sad. Basically, Agilebits is succumbing to the CYA mentality of protecting us from ourselves so that they are not seen as "enabling us" into using a non secure route for sharing information. Rather than correcting a potential problem, you have created a larger one since people are now sending regular passwords etc. over plain text / email. Surely your lawyers can come up with the right language to place a clause in the app. that will fully warn people that what they are about to do is not 100% secure and that the users should delete the email / text after use. Much like the dust-up with other Mac apps like TextExpander, I fear that this is partly in motivation to force users to the monthly payment plan version of the app. so they can access shared vaults across users. Very very sad.

• mwarner
    mwarner
    Community Member
    Options

One other question. If I am able to sync my 1 password database over Dropbox, why can't Agilebits come up with a way to do this for a shared vault? …waiting for that feature to be removed as well I suppose and then the assimilation to forced subscription will be complete.

• mwarner
    mwarner
    Community Member
    Options

@SecretSquirrel Thanks for that point, and I stand corrected. I'll have to dig into that. Thank goodness at least everyone in my family is a dropbox user.

This discussion has been closed.