Only sharing options are AirDrop or Print (email, message options restored: iOS v6.4.2, Mac v6.3.1)

Comments

• timbits
    timbits
    Community Member

Please bring back the "plain text sharing" @1Password - it is an important feature of a a great product :-)>

• Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know item sharing has returned with proper advice on using secure sharing services in today's releases for Mac (6.3.1) and iOS (6.4.2).

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this with us these past weeks. 1Password wouldn't be the app it is today without terrific folks like all of you. ❤️

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member

And a big thumbs up for a company and its nice team who listen to their customers :+1:

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member

So glad to hear you are bringing it back with a warning, allowing the customer to decide. THANK YOU!

• Hey @AChakery, @SecretSquirrel, and @buckZor, you're all very welcome. Again, these updates are available now for both Mac and iOS. Just run the update, and be aware of the security of the services you choose to use. ✌️❤️

• rgoggin
    rgoggin
    Community Member

Just noticed this was back, thanks agilebits team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:pirate: :+1:

• dougl
    dougl
    Community Member

Thanks much for bringing this back.

Now if we could just get Mark Z to use your product, we'd be in business :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Now that the sharing issue has been resolved -- one last announcement:
    The monthly meetings of the whinger's club will resume at the usual time and place.
    Our typical agenda will start off with groans, grouching, and grumbles; continue with fussing, griping, and criticizing; and then end with remonstrating, opposing, and protesting.

@SecretSquirrel: lol

Please be on time. Latecomers will be subjected to mandatory whinging (as required under the bylaws) which only delays the start of the meeting, as it has for every meeting so far.

I hate to grouse, but wouldn't it be better for the overall grumbledex if people are late? :lol:

Thanks much for bringing this back.
    Now if we could just get Mark Z to use your product, we'd be in business :-)

@dougl: Bing! :crazy:

• seanwes
    seanwes
    Community Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just wanted to say I registered to say thank you for restoring this feature.

I've been following this entire discussion. I didn't see a point in registering to merely echo what has already been said. All of my thoughts and desires were already being voiced by others here.

However, I greatly appreciate this feature being reinstated with the security warning. Thank you for listening. It means a lot!

• @seanwes You're welcome! It's really our pleasure to have brought back sharing. We really do use and love the feature ourselves. Have an awesome rest of the week!

• crazyninjamaster
    crazyninjamaster
    Community Member

Thanks so much for restoring this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad you're enjoying using item sharing! Stay safe out there! :pirate: :+1:

• tansey
    tansey
    Community Member

I am glad to see sharing via email back, but I am not liking all of the extra information included in the email. I would prefer to return to just sending the link which doesn't expose all of the information in the email. The purpose is to share the info quickly within 1P not to send an email with all of the info totally in the clear.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

I am glad to see sharing via email back, but I am not liking all of the extra information included in the email. I would prefer to return to just sending the link which doesn't expose all of the information in the email. The purpose is to share the info quickly within 1P not to send an email with all of the info totally in the clear.

@tansey: I totally get where you're coming from, but I think you may be missing the point of this discussion: even though you may not be able to decode it with your eyeballs, anyone intercepting a message you send with "onepassword://share" in it can easily download the app themselves to de-obfuscate it, whether you see your password "in the clear" or not. The express purpose of the new formatting is to make it obvious to anyone at a glance that the contents are not secure without sending them via an encrypted channel. And given your comment, I think we've succeeded in that regard! ;)

• ian_c
    ian_c
    Community Member

Just popping in to say THANK YOU for restoring this option! The warning is a great compromise.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

With regard to your last comment, would you consider making that an option deep in settings somewhere? I understand that it's a useful way to remind us that we're sharing something inherently insecure, but again once we understand that and confirm that we've understood, I'd prefer to have the option to go back to the old behavior. Again, if nothing else, because I might have someone (or a camera) looking over my shoulder as I compose my iMessage.

The option could even have its own firm warning that I'd better know what I'm about to get myself into by turning off the cleartext insert.

• Thanks for the feedback, @nixta. Our security folks were pretty passionate about making sure this warning appeared each time the feature was used, and that was the only way they'd approve adding it back. As such I don't have high hopes for such a preference, but I'll certainly pass the feedback along. :)

Ben

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. To be clear, I'm not asking for the warning to be removed. I think that's completely valid. What I'm asking is that I get the option to not include the clear-text content of the 1Password item before the encoded link in the body of the message I'm sharing. Having the username and password appear in the sharing window before I have a chance to send it or hide it from anyone sitting in the room is not a good thing.

Nick.

• nixta
    nixta
    Community Member

I'll wait for @Ben or someone else from Agile Bits to reply more rudely then. I'm not a latecomer to this topic (there have been lots of threads on this), and I'm extremely grateful this functionality is back. I'm just asking for an optional tweak.

I now tap share, confirm the warning message, pick Messages, scroll up to the top, and fiddle around with iOS's finicky select functionality to select and delete the plain text, leaving just the link, then enter a recipient and send. I'm just asking to be given the option in the settings, with a warning when I disable it, to include or exclude the plain text before the link.

• As such I don't have high hopes for such a preference

We rarely say "never" (unless the question is about implementing syncing via WebDAV), but this is about as close as it gets. Sorry.

Ben

• AChakery
    AChakery
    Community Member

Sorry if this is a little an out-of-topic question ...

But would you please tell me if you are considering OwnCloud for future versions ?

I am living in Europe and many companies here do not use DropBox because of their privacy policies and OwnCloud has been a very reliable choice for them.

It would really be great if you include OwnCloud or at least SFTP since this is an another safe and reliable system too.

Thank you

• Our current focus is on our own 1Password.com service offerings, but we may consider OwnCloud in the future. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.