"Never prompt for master password" not yet supported in Safari 5.1

David Cher
David Cher
Community Member
edited July 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
i have updated to Lion and it was a nightmare and i need to enter the password to unlock

i have selected not to lock and no need to enter the password to unlock

what is going on ?

version 3.7

Comments

• David Cher wrote:

i have updated to Lion and it was a nightmare and i need to enter the password to unlock

i have selected not to lock and no need to enter the password to unlock

what is going on ?

version 3.7

Hi Dave,

Is it the Safari extension that is locking or 1Password itself? If it is the Safari extension, please try reinstalling it.

Instructions for reinstalling the Safari extension can be found here:
    http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/troubleshooting_safari_5.1.html#extension_data_does_not_match_the_main_application

Thanks
    Ben
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    i have tried to reinstall but it seems it is the 1password program locking itself
  • William Critch
    William Critch
    Community Member
    Having the same problem. Whassup guys? I do't want to ditch 1P, nor withdraw my praise of 1P given to many of our Computer Club. How 'bout a good Operating manual. or a step-by-step instruction.
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    kept getting this box even the option have been disabled for locked out
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Could you please try the new Beta release (3.7.1.BETA-2) and see if it fixes this problem? You can do this by going to the 1Password > Preferences window, selecting the Update panel, enable the "Include Beta versions" checkbox, and then click Check Now. Once the update is installed, try again and see if it helps.
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    every time i restart the same problem is there . what is going on ?
  • MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    edited August 2011
    I am having the same problem when running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The Safari extension must be unlocked several times during the day even though I have not restarted. I checked and it appears that I am running the current version of 1Password Version 3.7.1 (build 31089), with no beta version available.

As far as I can recall, this problem began after installing 3.7.0., if that is the version that introduced the updated interface.
  • William Critch
    William Critch
    Community Member
    Got the new beta, but 1P still requires a log-in password. Also, the LHS box doesn't have the 'goodies' you mentioned. Also, it's still not responding to all the sites. I can wait; seems like you bkokes have your ands full and juggling. Wonder if i should go to Firefox?rolleyes.gif
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    this version works for me .

after restarting , i do not have to unlock it
  • William Critch
    William Critch
    Community Member
    Thanks David. Re-installed and I'll check it out more thoroughly tomrrow
  • MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    I am still having the problem with Version 3.7.2.BETA-2 (build 31094) when running 10.6.8.
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    sorry to inform after this morning restart it still does not work. kept asking me to unlock the 1password
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    any idea?
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Hi,

We've discovered that problems with incessant locking of 1Password on Lion can be triggered by other applications running on the system that aren't quite Lion ready. Please update Display Pad, LaunchBar and LittleSnitch to the latest Lion ready versions.

If you are running Air Display, you will need to remove it with their uninstaller for the time being.

Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

-j
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    apparently this version works
  • MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    How does this apply to people having the problem using Snow Leopard?
  • William Critch
    William Critch
    Community Member
    No problems today. Lookin' good, guys!

• No problems today. Lookin' good, guys!

Hey Boggabri_Bill,

Awesome news! Thanks for updating the thread.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Jeff's post does refer only to the issues we know about Lion, so I apologise we haven't gotten to the bottom of your issues with Snow Leopard as of yet.

Can you just confirm what's happening, is the 1Password application constantly re-locking itself or are you having to always unlock the 1Password extension in Safari?

Please let us know,

It's been the Safari extension. I'll have to get back to you about whether or not the problem is fixed because I haven't used my computer very much today...
  • Hey MrMojoOne,

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I am sorry if there has been any confusion, but "Never prompt for master password" is not yet enabled in the new Safari 5.1 extension. You will need to enter your master password to unlock either the 1Password application and/or the Safari extension at least one per session depending on what you have checked/unchecked with regard to "Disable automatic unlock…"

If the issue is not with that specific setting (i.e., "Never prompt for master password" is UNCHECKED) then Universal Lock should be working in the latest version of 1Password (3.7.2) and the Safari extension (3.7.b10).

If "Disable automatic unlock for 1Password" is checked you will always be prompted to enter your master password when opening 1Password. This includes quitting the app and relaunching it.

Likewise, if "Disable automatic unlock for all applications" is checked you will always be prompted to enter your master password when using one of the browser extensions after a fresh launch of your browser(s).

With both of those options UNCHECKED, you can unlock either the main application or the Safari extension, and the other will also then be unlocked. You will need to do unlock one or the other, though. There is not yet a way to "Never prompt for master password" in the new Safari extension.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    in the past on leopard , i never have to enter any master password to unlock
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    And you still don't if you are using Leopard since Safari 5.1 is not available for Leopard (only Snow Leopard and Lion). The issue pertains to the new Safari 5.1 extension as I mentioned above. We are working on a solution for this.

In the meantime, I hope my tips helped. :-)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • MrMojoOne
    MrMojoOne
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I am sorry if there has been any confusion, but "Never prompt for master password" is not yet enabled in the new Safari 5.1 extension. You will need to enter your master password to unlock either the 1Password application and/or the Safari extension at least one per session depending on what you have checked/unchecked with regard to "Disable automatic unlock…"

When you write "per session" are you referring to using the Mac between restarts or Safari? I assume that you mean Safari because restarting Safari requires reentering the master password.

Other than that, your post made things clearer for me. The myriad auto-locking options confused me; 1Password seem to be a tad more intuitive in this regard prior to the update.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    "Per session" can vary depending on your Unlocking settings (Preferences > Security). As I said above, with both "Disable automatic unlock…" options UNCHECKED 1Password can remain unlocked between relaunches of Safari. With the second option enabled you will need to enter your master password with every fresh launch of Safari. Until support for "Never prompt for master password" is added to the Safari 5.1 extension, you will always need to enter your master password after a restart of your Mac.

20110813-p4ui9n7h8tfwt8j3itj9k3y5pk.png
This discussion has been closed.