Edge Extension support in Win10 Insider Builds

Options
sina
sina
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I know Edge didn't have extension support, and I don't blame 1Password for not readily having a solution available for this browser, but now that they are providing support, can we also get the much desired extension work done for 1Password?
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/03/17/preview-extensions/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:missing-extension-button, kb-search:windows 10 extension, kb:missing-extension-button

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sina: Probably not for a while — at the very least, not until Microsoft releases information we can use to develop one. Right now all they have are a few premade extensions, which doesn't tell us how we can make our own. :(

• MikeT
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @sina,

Just to expand on this, Microsoft is not providing any support nor any information on how to develop extensions, they're simply testing how it works with a few custom extensions they've built for Insider testers and working with selected partners (we're not on that list).

They are going to build out the extension APIs over the next several months along with the documentations that we need before we can start. We do have plans to work on an Edge extension but it depends on if there is enough API support to do what we need it to do in the first release.

• robcoh
    robcoh
    Community Member
    Options

Mike - it's now July and still no extension. I love 1Password and recommend it to clients in my IT practice and would love you guys to be on board with Edge. Word is using Edge instead of Chrome uses far less battery and I've been trying out Edge when off power mains but this makes it much less convenient. For now working around using desktop program.

I guess LastPass acquired some sort of exclusivity to the API for a certain amount of time but now there's a rush to get everyone onto Windows 10 by 7/29 and that means more use of Edge. Hope you guys can get some proper support from Microsoft!

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @robcoh,

We have already built a beta extension reusing our Chrome codebase, it is almost usable and we got it to fill but unfortunately, we ran into external limitations that exists in Edge that doesn't exist in Chrome/Firefox. We are attempting to locate workarounds in the meantime and we will release more details as soon as we have them.

Unfortunately, if we don't find workarounds, we may not be able to have 1Password support available on the first day of the Anniversary update (postponed to August 2nd now) and may need to wait for Microsoft to add the APIs we need in future updates.

• robcoh
    robcoh
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Thank you for the response. That's better news that I might have expected.

I am on the Fast Ring at 14383 and look forward to the beta. Just switched from your 1P Stable to Beta.

Robert

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @robcoh,

You're welcome but please don't raise your exceptions too high on my reply. As I said, if we don't find a workaround, it may take longer than usual. Most of us are really excited to see excellent progress here but a bit sadden that it may not be possible for everyone to use it yet.

• robcoh
    robcoh
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Hear you. At least you guys have a reasonably high bar and plan to adjust when you can. Some vendors in other categories, not so much. :)

• MikeT
    Options

Well, someone already got there ahead of us. If anything, they made it possible for Microsoft and us to move forward with Edge.

Any progress on all sides is good news for all of us, because in the end, security is what everyone deserve to have, no matter where it came from.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

So you're able to create/finish the Edge Extension in the next couple of weeks?

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @TheVMaster,

Most of the extension is already done as it is based on the same Chrome extension we have. In fact, we have it working with very simple filling in our lab. However, to make it work for everyone, everyone has to do a lot of things to enable it and to repeat the work each time Edge is restarted, this is the reason we can't ship one right now.

Edge has extra obstacles in the way that we're still trying to work around. If we don't find a way to do this, we're not likely to have one available soon.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

Thank @MikeT !

Oke....but that are other obstacles then the ones you head before your response on the July 9th (on which I responded)? That sucks....for now I'm using the Enpass extension on Edge, but I would love to go back to 1Password again, since 1Password feels a bit more mature!

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @TheVMaster,

I won't comment on the other extensions but the obstacles we have should be the same for a few of them that's identical to how we load data (sideloading, loopback, etc) unless there is a misunderstanding on our side, which is possible. The situation will be made more clear once the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is available on August 2nd.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @TheVMaster,

If you read Enpass's latest blog post, you'd see the same situation as we're in regarding to 1Password support in Edge. As long as there are no ways for our extension in Edge to communicate with our offline desktop apps on the same device, there isn't a way to make 1Password work in Edge. We need Microsoft to add the APIs for us and others.

We'd love to build a self-contained 1Password extension that works with 1Password.com accounts but that's a whole different thing and requires building a new extension from the beginning.

• Gordon2001
    Gordon2001
    Community Member
    Options

"whole different thing and requires building a new extension from the beginning" how its going with this? It would be greate with our 1password.com company account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gordon2001: We don't have anything new to share on this front, but rest assured it will be big news when we do. Thanks for your patience!

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates yet on the 1Password extension for Edge?

• Hi @TheVMaster,

The recent Insider builds have the APIs we need, so we're going to start building the app+extension to take full advantage of it. We'll definitely will share more information as we continue to work with Microsoft's Edge team on this.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT That's great news! Can't wait to have it installed, so I can finally say goodbye to my 'other' browser ;-)

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

We can't wait either, this is actually a bigger deal in terms of how the extensions will work from now, it extends to most browsers, not just Edge. Hopefully, not too long before we can explain why.

• TheVMaster
    TheVMaster
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Any idea about the timeline....when you can explain why?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TheVMaster: I think once it's ready at least for beta testers we'll have a lot more to say about it. Right now it's too early and things may change, so it wouldn't make much sense to go into a lot of detail until things are finalized. Given that many folks both inside and outside of AgileBits are anxious to use 1Password with Edge, and that a lot of big changes from both AgileBits and Microsoft were necessary to make this happen, I think it's a great subject for a blog post when the time comes. :)

This discussion has been closed.