How secure is the backup file?

I am a new user. I want to change the backup location so my backups save within my OneDrive. The question I have is how safe and secure is it to save backups to OneDrive cloud? I assume the backup files are encrypted but just wanted to check if it was wise to store backups in the cloud. Thanks in advance for your assistance....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how secure is the backup file?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Simnstj: And right you should ask! The 1Password backups are just a compressed copy of your vault. The data is encrypted, and the security is the same, so it's no different than storing your vault itself securely in the cloud; it's simply meant to save a little space. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• MikeT
    edited March 2016

Hi @Simnstj,

While it is okay to store the backups in the cloud, we strongly recommend you pick a unique folder per PC. Do not use the same backups folder for all PCs connected to OneDrive or you'd lose the important part in all backup methods, the redundancy of your backups.

If something bad happens to the backups on one PC, you don't want it to spread to other computers.

This discussion has been closed.