Can 1PasswordPro sync Windows w/o DropBox

I run 1Password on Windows XP on my desktop and I am considering installing 1Password on my iPhone 4. I would like to sync the two via wifi without using DropBox so that I can avoid storing data in the Cloud. My sense is that 1Password Pro sync accomplishes this but only with 1Password on Mac OS? Can 1Password Pro on an iPhone sync with 1Password on Windows? If I'm running 1Password on Windows is there any reason I should choose 1Password for iPhone versus 1Password Pro to run on my iPhone?

Thanks!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, davisjs!

Dropbox is the only sync method available in 1Password for Windows.

As for storing your 1Password data "in the cloud," the thing to remember is that, no matter where it's stored, your 1Password data is protected with 128-bit AES encryption:

Please see these documents for a more thorough discussion of the issue:
  • davisjs
    edited August 2011
    Thanks. Are there any plans to support local syncing (e.g., via wifi) of 1Password on the iPhone and 1Password on Windows. I would love to avoid storing any data in the cloud.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    We never say "never," but I know of no current plans to add other sync options to 1Password for Windows.
  • davisjs
    edited August 2011
    Fair enough. I believe there is definitely a community of users who want to avoid putting sensitive personal data in the cloud, so I think a local syncing solution for Windows would be well received. Thanks!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    I think there's ample reassurance for such concerns in the documents cited in my post, above.

Thanks again!
  • jd4840
    jd4840
    Community Member
    edited December 2011
    DBrown,

1Password is fantastic. But....

I don't share the same enthusiasm about security in the cloud as you do, particularly with the recent spats of news regarding dropbox that has been addressed in the last few months.

I own 1Password for iOS, and for Mac, and recently bought it for Windows.
    The 1Password for windows product page was unclear about the limitations of its wi-fi sync.
    i ultimately found the answer on the 1P for Windows FAQ page.

I'd ask that you make this limitation more prevalent on the main Windows product page. Apologies if I missed it but then that would illustrate the problem. :)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, jd4840. Do you mean this one? https://agilebits.com/onepassword/win

For anyone else still looking for the short answer to the question that started this thread:

Q: Can 1PasswordPro sync Windows w/o Dropbox?

A: No.
  • davisjs wrote:

Fair enough. I believe there is definitely a community of users who want to avoid putting sensitive personal data in the cloud, so I think a local syncing solution for Windows would be well received. Thanks!

There's also a community of users without access to the Dropbox.com domain due to employer IT policies. I've personally used GoodSync to synchronize my 1Password for Windows database over WebDAVS to that for my Mac version on a NAS at home. YMMV.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Note that we do not recommend storing your 1Password data on a network shared device. Performance typically suffers, and there's the possibility of corruption due to lack of prevention of simultaneous access.
This discussion has been closed.