1Password pricing

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can I know upgrade prices prior to purchase?.

Comments

• straygecko
    straygecko
    Community Member

@Pilar, @LauraR, @SteveArnold,

We are not on 1Password 6 in the Windows world, we are on 1Password 4, over a year behind the Mac, with no upgrade in sight (e.g. no beta out even). The Windows license price has just been increased by 30% for a single user and a 5 user license has increased by 464% - a clear sign of pushing people to the subscription model. This is unprecedented in the history of 1Password as far back as the wayback machine shows (only one 25% price increase to the single user license in 5 years). Clearly agilebits is doing things differently than in the past so as they say in the stock market "past performance is no guarantee of future results". It would be prudent to assume it will be an expensive upgrade as an incentive to push customers to the subscription model. Given the size of the price increase and how far behind the Windows version is I think the upgrade price issue should be addressed more directly by agilebits - such as an official statement that upgrades to version 6 will be free as they were for the Mac or that they will be a a certain % of the current license cost. Its not a good idea to roll out a price increase and pretend it didn't happen and just let the questions trickle out in the forum. For those of us who are in the middle of evaluating 1password when the price increase hit its a big deal and non-answers don't help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@straygecko: I've split you off into a new discussion since your comments were a bit off topic.

To be clear, Pilar's answer was correct and is pretty much the same Laura (or I) would have given ourselves, had had she not beaten us to it: upgrade pricing is currently 50% of a full license, and has been for as long as I can remember. So if that's the information you were looking for, you've got it!

But on the other hand, I'm sorry to hear that you're dissatisfied with some changes we've made recently. However, that doesn't give you the right to show disrespect to others by hijacking their discussions in order to vent your own frustration. And while I appreciate that you're frustrated, we want to keep things friendly on the forums. So please refrain from doing that. We need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit, and that means being considerate of others. Please keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

We're here to help, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

For example, if you have specific questions or requests, let us know!

We are not on 1Password 6 in the Windows world, we are on 1Password 4, over a year behind the Mac, with no upgrade in sight (e.g. no beta out even).

Saying things like "a year behind" only makes sense if 1Password was somehow seasonal. But it's being developed on an ongoing basis. None of our apps can afford to take year off. ;)

Anyway, it sounds like you may just be anxious for a brand new 1Password for Windows desktop app. I am too! :eh:

The Windows license price has just been increased by 30% for a single user and a 5 user license has increased by 464% - a clear sign of pushing people to the subscription model.

To be clear, nobody's being pushed anywhere. If you don't feel that 1Password is a good fit for you — whether as a subscription or a standalone license — you don't have to spend your hard-earned money on it. We appreciate the support of all of our awesome customers, but no one should buy it if they don't feel it's provides a value to them.

Also, the Windows license price hasn't increased; much like 1Password for Mac, we simply don't sell 1Password for Windows a la carte anymore. Most people who buy 1Password expect to be able to use it on all of their computers, regardless of the OS they happen to be running, so we've changed our licensing to better reflect people's expectations. I only wish it were possible to truly "bundle" the mobile apps as well, but 1Password Families/Teams is a good way of doing something like that going forward.

This is unprecedented in the history of 1Password as far back as the wayback machine shows (only one 25% price increase to the single user license in 5 years). Clearly agilebits is doing things differently than in the past so as they say in the stock market "past performance is no guarantee of future results". It would be prudent to assume it will be an expensive upgrade as an incentive to push customers to the subscription model.
    Given the size of the price increase and how far behind the Windows version is I think the upgrade price issue should be addressed more directly by agilebits - such as an official statement that upgrades to version 6 will be free as they were for the Mac or that they will be a a certain % of the current license cost.

Given that you've already categorically declared "no upgrade in sight", you should't be surprised that we don't have anything to announce regarding 1Password for Windows version 6 yet. But you can bet we'll announce it when the time comes! :chuffed:

Its not a good idea to roll out a price increase and pretend it didn't happen and just let the questions trickle out in the forum. For those of us who are in the middle of evaluating 1password when the price increase hit its a big deal and non-answers don't help.

Frankly, no one is pretending that we haven't changed our licensing. And technically since the license is now for both 1Password desktop apps, it's 5$ cheaper than the Mac + Windows bundle was previously. :sunglasses:

Pilar did answer the question that was asked and Laura backed her up. And if the person who asked the question isn't satisfied with the answer they received, they're free to ask as many followup questions as they like. Since you expressed dissatisfaction with the response given, perhaps you have some questions of your own — questions that need answering! :pirate:

Please be sure to ask any questions that you might have yourself, and we'll be happy to answer them to the best of our abilities. And if you just want to let us know that you dislike our pricing, that's fine too, so long as you do it in a manner that's respectful to everyone frequenting these public forums. :)

This discussion has been closed.