Slow unlock [update 1Password, Restart 1Password mini]

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password seems slow to open.

Comments

• dds
    dds
    Community Member

Did this problem ever get resolved? I've started having the same problem -- not sure when in started. I use Firefox.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @dds,

I know we're monitoring certain performance issues in 1Password 6.1 but I'm not aware of them having existed since version 5.3.2. We believe the current issues are related to some significant but necessary changes made in 1Password 6.

Can I ask what version of 1Password for Mac you're running please. This is likely the key piece of information.

• j_h
    j_h
    Community Member

If I could jump in, I'm having similar issues. I'm running app version 6.1 (610006) and Chrome extension version 4.5.5.90.

For me, the slowness happens after every time my MBP (mid-2014) goes to sleep.

Can you describe the significant changes that were required?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @j_h,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password! From your description, I'm not quite sure if you're experiencing the same problem the OP described last August. There's a good chance you're running into a different problem with similar symptoms, but to make sure, can you please give us a few more details about the issue and your setup:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • Are you using the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of Chrome are you using?
    • What sort of "slowness" are you experiencing? Is it a delay when unlocking 1Password from the browser extension (or from 1Password mini) after your Mac has been in sleep mode?
    • If so, does the delay also happen when unlocking the main 1Password app? Or does it only happen in the extension / 1Password mini?
    • If you reboot your Mac, do you still have the same problem, or does it seem to work better?
    • After the unlock/delay, does it seem to work correctly?
    • We recently released an update for version 6.2 of the main 1Password app. If you install the update, does it make a difference as far as the problem goes?

Thanks in advance! :)

• dpr56
    dpr56
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I'm having the same issue when unlocking 1Password 6.1 (610005) MINI. It will hang with the spinning beachball for 30-40 seconds. Once it's unlocked it works fine. I've locked and unlocked it with the same results. I don't think it has anything to do with the browser as I get the same results with my browsers closed. I tried to delete the preferences but didn't help. I have no problems with the application. It unlocks and is available immediately; it's the mini menu bar that I have problems with. Also, when I unlock the app, the mini still hangs. I would like to uninstall the complete app and reinstall it. What's the procedure for a complete uninstall?

Disregard...:-( I read the post above and saw there was an update to 6.2.1 . The update solved the problem. I have "automatically check for updates" turned on, but for some reason it got skipped!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the update helped.

We've been working on different ways of solving this problem, since it affects people differently depending on their system, but Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini helps as well.

It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• j_h
    j_h
    Community Member

An update to 6.2.1 didn't help in my case, but a restart of my macbook did!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @j_h,

Do please let us know if you experience it again.

• krustyfur
    krustyfur
    Community Member

Running 6.2.1 on 10.11.4 on a late 2013 rMBP. I hate to say it but performance in every update of 6.x has been abysmal. I've been using this since v3 and I've never had the problems I have had since upgrading from 5 to 6 :(

It has improved slightly in 6.2.1, but the slowdown still happens. I only have to restart mini once or twice a day now, instead of 4 or 5 times. Once I see the spinning beach ball of doom for more than a few seconds it's time to reload.

• Hi @krustyfur,

I'm really really sorry about this. We're aware of the problem and are trying to figure out what happened here. It sounds like you're hitting it really often, which might make you an ideal candidate to help us get more information. If you're using the AgileBits Store version of the app and you're up for it, here's what I'd like you to do:

• Enable Beta Updates in Preferences > Updates
    • Update to the latest beta
    • Once updated, avoid restarting 1Password mini, which might mean saying no to subsequent updates
    • Wait for the problem to show itself again
    • Once it shows up, create a diagnostics report, and email it to support+forums@agilebits.com, and include a link to this forum thread. Our support staff knows to alert me when any of these come in so that I can take a look, but if you specifically mention "Rick Fillion" it should happen automatically.

The diagnostics report will contain log entries that will show up when you this stuff occurs in the beta app that won't show up when you're running the real releases. I'm ruling things out as we get more reports in and I can see which parts are and aren't seeing the slow downs.

Again, I apologize for this. This slow down was almost definitely introduced by changes I did during the development of 1Password 6 when I rewrote the whole unlocking mechanism. I want this problem fixed as much as you do.

Rick

• krustyfur
    krustyfur
    Community Member

@rickfillion - I have the beta installed now and so far no problem. Some more about my usage in case it helps you - I write web software so I have a couple of browsers open with up to half a dozen tabs each at any given time. I usually have firebug open under firefox, and sometimes the safari debugger open too (both browsers have the 1Password plugin active). I generally have one or two secure notes open and anchored as well - in the past I have noticed the slowdowns are worse with anchored secure notes. Those are the only running applications that should have any direct ties to 1Password. I frequently use the system menu bar to access 1Password mini to copy database and shell account passwords, more so than using the plugin button in a browser.

Chris

• moosh
    moosh
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Hello,

I'm jumping in here and I've been experiencing a slow unlock with the browser extension (and probably mini though I rarely use that) since I updated to 6.2.1 over MAS.

Taking a cue from @Drew_AG, here's what's happening:

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Are you using the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version of 1Password?
    Mac App Store

What version of Chrome are you using?
    Safari 9.1

What sort of "slowness" are you experiencing? Is it a delay when unlocking 1Password from the browser extension (or from 1Password mini)
    Yes – a delay when unlocking 1Password from the browser extension (unsure re mini as I rarely use).

If so, does the delay also happen when unlocking the main 1Password app?
    Yes. When I open the main app it takes a few moments with a message along the lines of "attempting to connect to mini" – then the app crashes but opens fine immediately thereafter.

If you reboot your Mac, do you still have the same problem, or does it seem to work better?
    Same.

After the unlock/delay, does it seem to work correctly?
    Yes. Everything works fine until the next time I have to enter my master password.

We recently released an update for version 6.2 of the main 1Password app. If you install the update, does it make a difference as far as the problem goes?
    I started experiencing this issue with 6.2.1, Mac App Store version.

Appreciate this is already a known issue and that you're trying to track it down. If I can help with any kind of diagnostics/logs please shout.

• Thanks for the info @moosh.

Since you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, it's a little more difficult to have you jump to a beta build, so unfortunately that won't be an option.

I find it curious that you say that it's still as slow to unlock after a reboot. That typically helps people so far. Are you 100% sure that right after the reboot it's still slow? How slow are we talking here? 2 seconds? 5? 10? 20?

Rick

• Thanks @krustyfur for the additional information.

I haven't seen any information that has lead me to believe that anchored windows could be related, but at this point I'm willing to accept just about any theories since this has been such a pain to figure out.

Rick

• moosh
    moosh
    Community Member

Thanks @rickfillion

Did another reboot and typically it's all working fine now ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Was previously taking around 10-15 seconds – with a few spinning beach balls – between password entry and being able to take any action.

I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it recurs.

Thanks again!

• Thanks for the update @moosh.

Rick

• krustyfur
    krustyfur
    Community Member

@rickfillion - haven't had a single slowdown since updating to the beta update channel last week (currently on 6.3-BETA7).

• @krustyfur if you avoid doing updates every couple days, you should hit the slow-down eventually as we haven't fixed it yet. You get to choose whether you want to avoid the updates in order to cause the slow downs and get us the diagnostics reports, or if you want a nice speedy mini at all times. Decisions, decisions. :)

• Coder256
    Coder256
    Community Member

I'm having a slow unlock issue (not quite as bad as what some other people have reported, mine takes about 5-6 seconds). Here are my logs:

Wed Apr 20 21:19:43 2016| 630009 [APP:(Main Thread):] M applicationDidFinishLaunching: | Starting 1Password (Beta, Debug) 6.3.BETA-9 #630009 built Apr 20 2016 13:33:30. Running from: /Users//Applications/1Password 6.app
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:43 2016| 630009 [XPC:(Main Thread):] S connect | Connecting to helper
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:43 2016| 630009 [XPC:(Main Thread):] S startHelper | Starting '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper'
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:43 2016| 630009 [XPC:(Main Thread):] S startHelper | '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper' is not yet running, waiting for 0.2s
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:43 2016| 630009 [XPC:(Main Thread):] E startHelper | We tried to start '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper' but it is not shown as running. We'll rely on SMLoginItemSetEnabled return value.
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:44 2016| 630009 [XPC:(Secondary Thread 0x7fed287affa0):] S exchangeStateWithCompletionOnMain: | Connected to 1Password mini , file:///Users//Applications/1Password%206.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.app
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:44 2016| 630009 [APP:(Main Thread):] S hockeyManagerStarted | Launch time: 1.34s
    Wed Apr 20 21:19:51 2016| 630009 [UI:(Main Thread):] S saveState:andReloadDataWithCompletionOnMain: | Selected 108 items: 0.746s

1Password 6
    Version 6.3.BETA-9 (630009)
    AgileBits Beta

• Hi @Coder256,

Those are logs for the main app. We would need the logs for the helper in this case, which you can get by searching for "2BUA8C4S2C" to filter out log statements except for that one. There's going to be a lot of them... especially with what I added in 6.3.BETA-9. It'd be easier if you emailed in a diagnostics report to support+forums@agilebits.com.

Thanks

Rick

• krustyfur
    krustyfur
    Community Member

@rickfillion I have updated to beta 9 since the readme said it has more logging info for this problem. Right before I did, I unlocked the vault using OPM and it took about 6-7 seconds, so I sent in a diagnostic report that will hopefully find its way to you. #LHT-35523-733

• Thanks @krustyfur. I've emailed a response.

Rick

• Coder256
    Coder256
    Community Member

@rickfillion The diagnostic report contains WAAAAAAY more personal information than I would like to send. I hope these logs will suffice.

• Hi @Coder256,

I'd be curious to know what personal information in there you consider too much. I'm not saying that to disagree, but moreso to better understand where you're coming from. We might be able to reconsider some of it. For this case the only thing I'm looking at are the mini logs, so what you've provided suffices.

I'm looking at the logs, and it looks like this is the mini logs when it was unlocked from the main app? I'm not seeing it trying to do the unlock animation. Is that the case? Are you unlocking from the main app or mini?

Rick

• Coder256
    Coder256
    Community Member

@rickfillion I was having trouble with the unlock animation in the main app.

Some of the personal information in a diagnostic report includes:

• A list of all users (and their names/UIDs)
    • System Info
    • All running processes (as of creation)
    • A list of many installed programs (ones that are known to conflict with 1Password?)
    • Disk Usage
    • Internet Plugins/Extensions
    • Info about all profiles on many different browsers
    • Many UUIDs (not quite sure what all of them are, but some)
    • Thousands of timestamps on various files

When usually only a log, OS version, and preferences are required. This information can be used to find the names (and UIDs) of users of the computer, find out the exact usage times for many different activities, have a list of (some) installed apps, and have access to lots of information useless for troubleshooting. I don't know how this information is used (and I hope that most of it isn't), but it would be very bad if it fell into the wrong hands.

I am not trying to accuse AgileBits of stealing user's data (in fact, I am very satisfied their focus on security), I am just explaining as a developer (and somebody who does not want to disclose their real name) why these diagnostic reports seem too personal.

• @Coder256 you're right that often that information isn't necessary. I tend to mostly just use the log files. But if you have any questions about why specific information is requested in there, please do let us know and we'll do our best to answer.

In the case of unlock being slow from the main app, I think I know what causes that one, or at least I have much better idea there. I think that one's caused by a database migration that tries to happen on first unlock after launch. Is that typically when it's slow? I would assume so considering you had this happen right after you updated to 6.3.BETA-9. If that's what happens to you, and it's super consistent, would you mind me sending you a special build of the app that will hopefully let me confirm my theory on that one so that we can start building its solution?

Rick

• Coder256
    Coder256
    Community Member

@rickfillion Yes, that might be the case, but I can't tell if it is consistent because I am on the latest beta (and I don't want to break anything if I downgrade).

• @Coder256 Quitting both 1Password and 1Password mini and relaunching it should put it in a similar state and satisfy the test.

• Coder256
    Coder256
    Community Member

@rickfillion It's slower than when it's already been running, but not as slow as before. I don't know what changed. Maybe it was just a fluke.

• @Coder256 not an alarming amount of slowness? Do you remember which version you were running before upgrading to 6.3.BETA-9?

This discussion has been closed.