New to 1PW. Which product do I use to share with my wife on separate computers and phones?

Do we sign up for the basic service or the 1PW for Families?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:New to 1PW and need to know which is right for my wife and I to share on separate computers & phone.

Comments

• Hi @jbstetson721,

1Password for Families is a great choice but it depends on your use case. Would you like to use the browser extensions on your PCs and if yes, what Windows versions they're using right now?

We're still working on a new version of 1Password for Windows that'll support Families but right now, Families support on Windows is limited to the web app on 1Password.com and the beta version of 1Password for Windows 10 that does not yet support extensions.

If you need browser extensions, then your best option right now is to use the standalone 1Password products and use Dropbox to sync your 1Password database between your computers and iOS/Android devices.

• jbstetson721
    jbstetson721
    Community Member

Thank you. I do not know about the browser extensions but I use Windows 10 and she is on the previous version, maybe 8? We will give the standalone version a try with the Dropbox sync. Thank you.

• Hi @jbstetson721,

You're welcome, here's the user guide that'll help, it has a section on Dropbox sync you can find here.

We'll be here to help out with anything you need.

• jbstetson721
    jbstetson721
    Community Member

@MikeT - My wife has her own Dropbox account. I assume that I need to share the 1Password files on my Dropbox with her and then access them from her computer. 1Password has created two items in my Dropbox - a file called ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" and also "Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain". What do I invite her to share with me, just a file or the actual Apps folder? I assume that I would invite her to the Dropbox files, then follow step 3 to start syncing with existing data. Will she then have access to all of the same information as is in my 1Password vault? This is confusing to me as I thought that much of the information actually resides on my computer.

Assuming that this works for us, which license do we need to buy? It seems that we may need to buy 2 licenses unless we are actually sharing the same account. Would the family license then make more sense? Thanks for the help.

• Hi @jbstetson721,

You can share the Apps > 1Password folder with your wife. Avoid doing anything with the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file, this is used to help a few versions of 1Password find your 1Password vault files in the Dropbox folder in case you don't use the default Apps > 1Password folder.

Will she then have access to all of the same information as is in my 1Password vault?

Yes, once you share the vault password with your wife, she'll see everything in that vault.

This is confusing to me as I thought that much of the information actually resides on my computer.

It does, all of the data is stored in the encrypted form on your local drive only. However, once you move it to the Dropbox folder, Dropbox then syncs that same folder between all of your computers and devices connected to the Dropbox account but they also put a copy on their servers locked behind your Dropbox account. Your data is always encrypted at rest, meaning no data is decrypted on the drive and Dropbox only sees the encrypted form.

It seems that we may need to buy 2 licenses unless we are actually sharing the same account. Would the family license then make more sense?

Correct, you'd need a license per user for now.

1Password Families is not fully ready yet on Windows, we're working on bringing it over as fast as we can. Once it is ready, then it would make more sense for you guys as you don't have to deal with Dropbox and you will have a better data management tool along with the ability to control more strict permissions for each vault.

This discussion has been closed.