Username often missing from auto-generated login: How to stop that, and how to fix instances of it?

I log into a new site (like marvel.com, for example).
The auto-generated 1pw entry ends up missing the required username.

I don't want to have to manually type the user name for now on, for this site and others.
Therefore:
Q1) How to stop this from happening?
Q2) How to fix that in the instances where it has happened?,

1Password Version: current version
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: windows s10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Username often missing from auto-generated login: How to stop that, and how to fix instances of it?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2016

Hi @ijnijnijn,

I tested marvel.com and 1Password did save both the username and the password for me. The full URL is: https://secure.marvel.com/user/login

Can you tell me which browser you're using?

1Password scans the open text fields where you entered the data and then saves it, so missing username means it did not see the username field.

Are you changing the password and then letting 1Password save the Login item? This might happen because the Change Password form doesn't have a username listed, which is why 1Password doesn't have the username.

• ijnijnijn
    ijnijnijn
    Community Member

Chrome.

I don't remember the sequence of steps in the case of Marvel.com.

How do I correct this issue, however it arises?

• Hi @ijnijnijn,

How do I correct this issue, however it arises?

The best way is to re-save the Login item manually. Here's how:

1. First, visit the login page. In this case of Marvel, go here: https://secure.marvel.com/user/login
    2. Click on the 1Password icon, right-click on the Login item to see its details view and click on the password to copy it to the clipboard
    3. Type your username in and paste the password into the password field but do not submit the form. Instead, click on 1Password again, go to Settings > Save New Login and use the dropdown menu to replace the current Login item with this new one

After this, refresh the page and try to log in with 1Password now.

• ijnijnijn
    ijnijnijn
    Community Member

Mike,

Sorry - I gave you the wrong web address. I meant to write "marvelapp.com", not "marvel.com".
    Kind of a "comical" mistake on my part...

In any case, I'm more interested to know the correct way to edit the incomplete marvelapp.com login, to add the missing
    Username field. I have other logins that need the same fix as well.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ijnijnijn: Ah! Thanks for clarifying. While it's best to save a login using the browser extension (since that will save information about the form that 1Password can use to fill), you can always add individual fields to an item by editing and clicking the + in the lower right. Just set the designation to "username" or "password" as needed.

However, I didn't have any trouble saving a login successfully for the site using the 1Password extension. Just follow these steps to manually save a new login:

1. Navigate to the login form (there isn't any way for 1Password to click and open the popup for you)
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosumbit disabled

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.