Want to sync with iCloud, do not want to merge with old sync

cdreed
cdreed
Community Member

I have 1Password6 installed on my Mac, and have not been syncing for a few years. I want to set up syncing now, but do not want to merge with old data on my iCloud. How do I delete the old information on iCloud before syncing so that merging will not happen.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@cdreed go to 1P6 > Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cdreed: Indeed. That should do the trick for you, but be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• cdreed
    cdreed
    Community Member

Received Error: "The operation couldn’t be completed. (CKErrorDomain error 9.)"
    Currently my Preferences -> Sync is set to None, and if I turn it on, 1Password wants me to accept to merge with current vault, or cancel. All the data on the iCloud is stale, and old. I would like to delete the iCloud data before saving current 1Password data to the iCloud. If I do "merge", can I be certain that the current data on my MacBook Air will not be corrupted with old data?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @cdreed,

Would you be an AgileBits Store user by any chance? I think you are and I know the error message you're talking about. We are working on it as the AgileBits Store uses CloudKitJS and it's a slightly different library from the one we get to use in the Mac App Store version. So we're basically ironing out the teething issues from being able to bring iCloud back to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac.

Thankfully it's not a deal breaker as there is an alternative way of deleting the old data.

1. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and click the button titled Manage....
    2. In there select the entry titled 1Password in the list on the left hand side.
    3. Click the button titled Delete Documents and Data and follow the prompts to confirm.

After this when you go to sync to iCloud 1Password will find no existing data and let you know you're going to be creating a new sync container rather than forcing you to merge.

I'm hopeful that should get you sorted out but please do let us know :smile:

• cdreed
    cdreed
    Community Member

I purchased 1Password through the App Store a number of years ago and have regularly upgraded the product, before it was an AgileNits product, I believe. Actually, I can remember calling 1Password for help, but 1Password no longer appears to provide the ability to talk with an actual support person, which is disappointing. However, your responses have been timely, and with your latest posting I was able to delete the stale old data and sync my current data to the iCloud. Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @cdreed,

I realise my forum username here in the forums (or the icon I use for that matter) probably doesn't scream business/corporate but I am actually part of the AgileBits team as is Brenty. I realise that some companies may not monitor their forums but we actively do. Our community moderators (Stephen_C) are users of 1Password and love it so much they give up time on a regular basis to help others. We check every thread even if the mods answered just to say hi and ask how things are going.

Some people aren't fans of forum support but it allows us to reach so many people that I look at them as a really positive thing. I like to think it helps keep us honest too as anything we say here can be seen by all and we can be reminded of that by our users if they feel we've fallen short of expectations.

Just to let you know, 1Password has always been an AgileBits product and it was actually sold in our store years before the Mac App Store existed. We entered the Mac App Store in 2013 I think it was and the first version released there was 1Password 3 for Mac. Since then we've released versions 4, 5 & 6, hopefully improving on it each time :smile:

I'm glad to hear iCloud sync is working for you now and if you have any other questions at all please do ask :smile: I do wonder that even if you purchased from the Mac App Store at one point that you're now running the AgileBits Store version given the error message you received. The easiest way to tell is to look in the menu option 1Password > About 1Password and under the version it will either say Mac App Store or AgileBits Store. I could be wrong but AgileBits Store users do see the error message you reported.

• cdreed
    cdreed
    Community Member

Yes, I looked at the version. You are correct. Agile Bits Store. I will next sync a new iPad Pro with a newly downloaded 1Password6 on the device to the vault in iCould and verify that all the data downloaded is correct. Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cdreed,

Thanks so much for confirming that for us. I’m so glad to see that you were able to get rid of the old iCloud data. Please let us know how setting up the new iPad Pro goes. :)

This discussion has been closed.