Can I sync my 1Password data with my Mac, Windows and iOS devices without using Dropbox?

It sounds link the WiFi sync only works with one compute (Mac or Windows) and multiple iOS devices. I want to keep my 1Password data now on my Mac and iOS devices also synced with my Windows 7 Laptop without using Dropbox. I tried the WiFi option on my Laptop but from the iOS device I got a message says "1Password could not find a Mac or PC to sync with". I have 1Password installed on all devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I sync my 1Password data with my Mac, Windows and iOS devices without using Dropbox?

Comments

• tsenbetta
    tsenbetta
    Community Member

Windows 1Passowrd version = 4.6.0.604
    iOS version = 9.2.1

• Hi @tsenbetta,

It sounds link the WiFi sync only works with one compute (Mac or Windows) and multiple iOS devices.

That is correct. It cannot be used to sync between multiple computers but it can sync between one computer and multiple Android or iOS devices.

I tried the WiFi option on my Laptop but from the iOS device I got a message says "1Password could not find a Mac or PC to sync with".

It's looking for your Mac, it won't look for anything else. If you want to switch to the PC, you have to disable the Wi-Fi sync in the iOS app and re-pair it to the PC. Note, after this, it will not look for your Mac and you have to do the same process of de-pairing and re-pairing the computers.

We do not recommend doing this because each time you de-pair, we reset the sync state database, which means we won't know what to sync next time and causing it to sync the entire database at once instead of the changed items.

Are you using anything to sync your data between your computers in your home network, like your own local sync tool or one that is provided by the NAS if you have one? You can try to use that specific tool to sync your 1Password folder between both computers and use one computer for the mobile devices.

• tsenbetta
    tsenbetta
    Community Member

I am not using anything else to sync between the Mac iOS devices and the Windows Laptop at this point. Can you send me information how to setup and configure NAS? Is there a built in tool that I can leverage within my local network? I am not familiar with it.

PS: I am not planning to switch to Windows. Mac is working just fine. I just wanted to have the same 1Password data on my Laptop (Windows) as well.

• Hi @tsenbetta,

Can you send me information how to setup and configure NAS? Is there a built in tool that I can leverage within my local network? I am not familiar with it.

You'll have to get in touch with your NAS vendor to see what they have for syncing your data between computers. If you're not familiar with this, then I'd suggest not doing this at all. This isn't a supported nor tested configuration for 1Password.

PS: I am not planning to switch to Windows. Mac is working just fine. I just wanted to have the same 1Password data on my Laptop (Windows) as well.

We do understand and there are two options you have without using Dropbox:

1. Copy data manually between both computers, like with a USB drive
    2. Use a local sync tool that you're comfortable with. There are many tools available but not all tools are compatible with 1Password, it is risky and not supported by us.

You might find this useful: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/sync-folder.html

• Michael_FINGIER
    Michael_FINGIER
    Community Member

Hello,

I would like to do the same but I got a NAS (Synology).

For the moment, what I am doing and don't really like is :
    - Mac -> Synchronise on Folder
    - Windows -> Synchronise on Folder
    - Forlder -> Synchronise with Synology cloud station
    - iOS -> Synchronise on Wifi

But if I am going away with my Iphone and not my mac, my iphone will not be synchronise during the all time.
    Some have find any kind of solution to have it sync on all 3 devices ?

• Hi @Michael_FINGIER,

Thanks for writing in.

What you're doing is the only solution there is. iOS does not have a user-accessible file system where you can sync the folder stored on your iOS storage with another app to sync with your NAS. If you had an Android device, you could use 1Password's Folder Sync just like on the macOS/Windows computers.

The Wi-Fi sync in 1Password can only pair with one computer at a time, you can de-pair and re-pair with a different computer if you want but it may result into duplicates or some kind of sync issues because there isn't a consistent tracking system to monitor what you've changed on different computers.

If you need a reliable sync without relying on a single computer, your best option is the cloud method where the central source of your data is, either with our 1Password.com cloud subscription (you can also access your data on 1Password.com web site) or using Dropbox.

This discussion has been closed.