Copy my 1PW6 to a flash drive?

JoeAldrich
JoeAldrich
Community Member

I am going out of town for a few days but I would like to have my Passwords with me. Is this doable using a flash drive?

1Password Version: Version 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @JoeAldrich,

The short answer is not really. 1Password really needs to be run from the /Applications/ folder due to certain sandboxing that goes on inside OS X. There also isn't a way to have a copy of 1Password temporarily read and write from an external drive, it will want to place all of its support files in the Library folder of the Mac that you're on. You can use a pen/flash drive as a location to sync multiple copies of 1Password to but it assumes you have a working copy of 1Password on each machine that you're using - there basically isn't a portable copy of 1Password.

It used to be we had 1PasswordAnywhere but this feature has reached the end of its life and we discuss this here, Moving Beyond 1PasswordAnywhere. What it would have allowed you to do is view the contents of an Agile Keychain from inside Dropbox but due to various security issues for both us and Dropbox this feature will be gone soon. Dropbox have been very kind to us but they also want to make sure their system is as secure as it can be and it's unfair of us to ask them to do otherwise.

Really the only portable option at the moment is either 1Password on a mobile device (we support iOS and Android) or 1Password Families. 1Password Families is our server based solution for 1Password in contrast to our data being stored locally. It is a subscription based service though so it will likely not be for everyone for one reason or another. As it is server based it is possible to view your vaults from any computer as long as you know your login credentials which include an account key and Master Password as well as the traditional email address.

I suspect you might have a number of questions as this has only been an overview. If one approach sounds like it might work for you and you have questions please do ask. If you want more details on each please do ask and we'll do our best to answer.

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member

Thank you, Littlebobbytables, for the prompt and clear response to my query. I checked out one of the options and looked at the other. I am giving up this idea for now. If I did capture 1PW6 on my flash drive and had occasion to use it the use would have been limited to looking at the user name and password for a specific login so I could use them manually.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JoeAldrich,

Sorry that neither option seemed great for what you were wanting. I think both would have met your needs but it's whether the effort was worth it if this was a one-off or if you felt they could offer you something long term. If you have any other questions or thoughts please let us know.

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks again, littlebobbytables.

Joe

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile:

This discussion has been closed.