Upgrade options for existing OSX and IOS licences

cantbebothered
cantbebothered
Community Member

I have existing iPAD IOS and MacBook OSX 1Password licences. My wife wants a password manager and we would like to share some passwords. I don't like the option of paying $5 per month for your Families offering. Do you have a one-time licence purchase option that would enable my wife to purchase a licence and share passwords with me? I note we can do this with LastPass for a total cost of $24

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @cantbebothered, slightlymotivated here and I can help :tongue:

Now we did change our licensing terms recently for new purchases but given the date that you purchased 1Password 6 for Mac your licence entitles you and up to five other family members in the same household to use the same licence. This means you are quite entitled to install 1Password 6 for Ma and use your licence file to licence the copy on her Mac. If she has an iOS device and wants the Pro features she will have to make that purchase herself as the in-app purchase is per Apple ID and it can't be shared. Now of course that's only if she benefits from the Pro features. If she's happy with the basic features that come in the free version there is no purchase needed at all.

So it could all be done with either no additional cost right now or there might be a $9.99 USD cost for the Pro features in 1Password for iOS.

You can then either share a single primary vault between you or you can keep individual primary vaults that you don't share and use a secondary vault to share communal items. The best way forward there will be Dropbox.

Hopefully that helps and if you have any other questions, some that may arise from something I've written here, please do let us know :smile:

• cantbebothered
    cantbebothered
    Community Member

Brilliant. Thanks very much for your prompt response

• cantbebothered
    cantbebothered
    Community Member

I do have a further question. My wife also has a Windows computer. I purchase an upgrade for this from your website at a quoted price of around US$32. I found I was also charged about $6 tax which is apparently owed by Canadian citizens if purchasing from abroad. Total price was $38.99. While I am in the UK I am not a Canadian citizen. Did I do something wrong to end up paying Canadian tax on the purchase? Please make sure Mr Trudeau spends my contribution to your exchequer wisely, perhaps another lesson on quantum computing.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cantbebothered,

and who doesn't love learning about quantum computing :lol:

My understanding is the tax applied is based on the country specified when you make the purchase. You specified the UK at the time of purchase so it isn't Canadian tax that was added but our very own VAT which is 20% I don't know what happens afterwards, maybe we have to submit reports to individual countries on purchases made, quite honestly I'm very happy not know how all that nonsense works. That's the cause of the price bump at the end though, we have to handle the various tax rates due to some European decree I believe so it's follow or be prepared to receive a large rap over the knuckles.

I wish somebody in our government could have off the cuff discussions about crazy stuff like that, actually I wish I just didn't fear most were incompetent :(

Before I start ranting, if you have any issues at all with 1Password please let us know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.