I'm lost: non-techie w crashed iphone app and older version of 1password on my mac

Help! I have been using 1password for years and I love it! However, my iphone app crashed when I had to restore it from a backup and when I downloaded what was available in the app store (6.3.1) onto the phone, it would not synch with the app on my mac (3.8.20 version on OS X 10.10.3) when I tried to synch using my wifi. Do I need a new version? If so, do I need to buy it? And how do I get my existing data to the new version? I have tons of passwords and notes and do not want to have to reenter all that data. And please walk me through the steps as I'm not a techie. Thank you very much.

1Password Version: 3.8.20
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

If you would like to continue using Wi-Fi sync, you will need to update 1Password for Mac. Our developers made some big changes to how Wi-Fi sync works a while ago, so 1Password 3 for Mac cannot communicate via Wi-Fi with 1Password 6 for iOS.

The upgrade from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 was a paid upgrade, but you get a nice discount for being an existing 1Password user. Just enter your current license information on our upgrade page when you go to purchase your new license.

Don’t worry, it’s simple to upgrade 1Password to the latest version. Just follow our User Guide article:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 for Mac

If you have any further questions about the process, please let us know - we’re here to help!

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

OK, thanks! I went to the upgrade page and it asks for a license. I don't know how to find that so I clicked on the "find it" link -- twice -- and have not received an email. The page says something about getting it after January 1, 2013, and I got it a few years before that--so how do I find my license? Merci

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

I’m sorry you’re having trouble finding your license. We’d love to help you track it down. Please email in to support+licenses@agilebits.com with your full name and the email address that you used when you purchased 1Password. :)

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

OK, I found out I was on a family plan with my guy and he's traveling right now so I should get that info soon...I just want to make sure: will it automatically transfer my current vault so I won't lose any data?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

If you follow the instructions that I linked to above (‘How to upgrade from 1Password 3 for Mac’), all of your data will be migrated to the new app - no muss, no fuss. :)

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

OK I got the 1Password 3 for Mac license AND the 1Password 6 for Mac one (he neglected to tell me about the upgrade--but that's another story). Should I still follow the instructions you gave above or is there a different path now?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

Glad to hear that you’ve got that license now! Now all we need to do is get your data from 1Password 3 into 1Password 6. The instructions in our article:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 for Mac

will put you on the right path. :)

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

Another question:
    That license belonged to my ex. I want my own license, and not be part of his family license.
    Can I still buy the upgrade at the discounted rate using the old license, and register it in my own separate name?

Or do I need to buy a new full Version 6 under my own name? And will I still be able to open the old data file and upgrade it, with my password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mlforner: If the license belongs to someone else, you would need to purchase your own license. However, you may want to consider 1Password Families instead, since it gives you access to the latest version of all of the apps, and you don't have to setup syncing to have your data on all of your devices. And whichever you choose, your existing vault can be used. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

Ok, thanks. I'm' still not clear. When I go to purchase my own license, do I choose the "single license" or "upgrade license" since I did have a family one and I want to be able to keep my existing vault.
    Also, does the single license include getting the app on my phone or only my computer?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

Don’t worry! You will be able to keep your data no matter how you purchase your new license. As Brenty says, the upgrade option would apply for the original purchaser of the license. Your options are to either purchase a license for 1Password from the AgileBits Store, or take a look at 1Password Families as an alternative. There are some advantages to each option, and we can discuss this in more detail if you would like. :)

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

OK, so I understand I need to buy a whole new license. My question not answered: if I buy a new license, does that include the iphone app or do I need to buy the family option to include my phone? I don't have any other devices except my laptop and phone. Thank you for a quick reply!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

1Password for iOS is a free download from the iOS App Store. There are some Pro features that are available for a one-time In-App Purchase, but they are not required to access your data on your iOS device.

The Pro features are not included with the 1Password desktop license (available from the AgileBits Store), but they are included with a subscription to 1Password Families.

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

I successfully got the new version on my computer and synched to my phone. Now to learn how to navigate around this new version! One thing: my computer version says I have 219 items but the phone says only 163 items...?? Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

Take a look at our User Guide for 1Password for Mac. It should help you navigate the new version. :)

As for the discrepancy between item counts, let’s see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

Are you still using Wi-Fi sync?

As a test, let’s create a new item on each device:

• Open 1Password for Mac and use File > New Item. You can create any type of item you want - give it a name like ‘Test, Mac’.
    • Add some details to ‘Test, Mac’ and save.
    • Open 1Password for iOS and tap on the Categories icon to view the Categories screen.
    • Tap the ‘+’ icon in the top to create a new item.
    • Again, pick any item you’d like, add some details and call it ‘Test, iOS’.

Now, let’s look at your database on each device:

• Does ‘Test, iOS’ show up on your Mac?
    • Does ‘Test, Mac’ show up on your iOS device?
  • mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

FYI I used Dropbox to do the sync...I made a test item on each device and neither one is showing up on the other...perhaps the synch did not work...?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

Thanks for doing the test! Yes, if the entries are not showing up on the other device, then we’re not quite connected up. Let’s check a couple of things with respect to Dropbox:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer: you should see a box icon in your menu bar - make sure it’s not a pale grey colour, which could indicate that it’s not running.
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync > [vaultname] > Sync Service on your iOS device
    • Confirm that both your Mac and iOS device are reading from the same file path in Dropbox.

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

So I don't even see dropbox on my menubar or in my app directory--so can I do it another way? How about via the wifi?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

That could be the problem! In order to sync with Dropbox, you do need to have Dropbox installed on your computer. There are some benefits to syncing with Dropbox: once you have it set up, it’s completely automatic. Wi-Fi sync requires that your computer and your phone be on the same Wi-Fi network.

Would you like me to help you get set up with Dropbox sync, or would you prefer to switch to Wi-Fi?

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

OK, it's weird because I have a password log in for Dropbox and a folder in my directory (that's where the ipassword keychain is) but I don't see it in the apps directory. My ex set this up years ago so I have no idea what happened. So if Dropbox is an easy way to go please advise on next steps; otherwise I am OK with wi-fi sync as I have it at home. thank you

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner ,

Having a username and password for Dropbox is a great start! All you need to do then is download the Dropbox app and sign in with your existing account. Once you’re signed in, you can set up Dropbox sync on your Mac.

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

I'm so frustrated! Arrrgh! I downloaded it, I see it in the apps directory and I see a folder called "dropbox" in my directory and it has the 1password keychain in it. However, there is no icon in my menubar at the bottom of the screen and even when I "open" from the app directory nothing happens for me to "sign in." ???

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

I’m sorry that this is frustrating for you. Let’s take a closer look at your system to see if we can figure out where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

OK! Support ID is #FFB-91517-258... standing by... thank you

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mlforner,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: FFB-91517-258

• mlforner
    mlforner
    Community Member

Thank you! This issue is hanging on so I'd like to get it done and move on...I appreciate your help to this point.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you are quite welcome! :)

We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.