I created vaults for my team but now they can my passwords, they are not encrypted, what can I do??

Options

I created vaults for my team members & family and I sent them selective logins but now they can see my passwords, is this right or I did something wrong. Is there a way for them to have the password information encrypted? what else should I do for this reason. Thank you.

1Password Version: 1password 4
Extension Version: 1 password 4
OS Version: windows10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I created vaults for my team members & family and I send them selective logins but now they can see my passwords, is this right or I did something wrong. Is there a way for them to have the password information encrypte? Thank you.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@betty: If you share sensitive information with someone, they have access to it, and secrets that have been shared cannot be unshared. Can you tell me why you gave them this information in the first place? It sounds like you didn't want to, so I'm unclear as you why you did. 1Password data is encrypted in a vault with a Master Password you set, and so no one can access the data inside the vault unless you give them the Master Password to unlock it.

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Ι shared a login with information that was not sensitive. Then I found out that it is encrypted. Maybe I didn't sent it properly and I would like you to help me on how to do it. I would like to send my facebood logins to a virtual assistance encrypted. How I can I do it ??
    I just bought 1 password and I am trying to learn it to its max. Thank you for your assistance and looking forward to your reply.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@betty: Absolutely! You can copy the item(s) you want to share (Ctrl C), create a new vault from the File menu, paste the item(s) (Ctrl V), and then share the vault using Dropbox:

Sharing a 1Password vault

Just make sure that you only put information in the shared vault that you want them to access, and also keep in mind that you'll need to give them the Master Password for it in order for them to unlock it. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, however, it's not clear to me. After I do all that as you suggest, will my virtual assistance still be able to see my password or it will show to him encrypted. Thank you for your assistance.

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Something I forgot to ask from above question " where do I paste it " before sharing it to dropbox? can you please be more specific? Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, however, it's not clear to me. After I do all that as you suggest, will my virtual assistance still be able to see my password or it will show to him encrypted. Thank you for your assistance.

@betty: Yes, if you give the the vault and the Master Password to access it, they can see all of the data inside.

The vault itself is encrypted using the Master Password you choose. But they cannot access the shared information at all unless you also provide the Master Password. You can either share it with them and give them the password so they can access the shared data, or, if you don't want them to be able to access it, don't share it with them at all. You can't have it both ways, I'm afraid.

Something I forgot to ask from above question " where do I paste it " before sharing it to dropbox? can you please be more specific? Thank you

Paste the item into the new vault — the one you are going to share. Alternatively, you can create new items in the shared vault manually. But if you already have the item you want to share in your own vault, copying and pasting is easier. :)

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I paste it to my new vault, however by checking it I see that my virtual assistance will be able to see the password, the information isn't encrypted! also
    How can I sent my vault to dropbox before sharing it? thank you again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@betty: The information is encrypted, but you're giving them the Master Password to decrypt it. Encryption prevents someone without the key from accessing data. If you give someone the key to your house, they can use it to get in. If you don't want someone in your house, don't give them the key. If you don't want your assistant to see your data, don't given them the Master Password. But in that case it makes even more sense to not share the vault in the first place. Dropbox is how you can share data over the internet. 1Password is how it's secured. Can you tell me what you're trying to do exactly?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @betty,

I think I know what you're asking for, are you asking if there's a way to transmit information in a way that your VA does not see the password but still can use the login?

If yes, that's not technically possible at all, no one can do this securely. Your VA must log into the site with the password in clear text to use your information, there isn't a way to bypass this.

Some tools may say they can conceal the password to prevent others from seeing it but that's an illusion, it can be easily worked around and the password can be revealed via many methods.

If you do not trust your VA with this information, you should not pass it on.

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to send my facebook login to my virtual assistant. I have created a vault for him, I haven't sent his vault yet because I don't know how; however I have managed with Control C and Control V to place my facebook login to his vault but I can see there my facebook password. I know about dropbox but I don't know how to send his vault encrypted? I hope you understand now so you can assist me. Thank you

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @betty,

You can see your password because you've unlocked the vault in 1Password. The vault itself is encrypted on disk, when you move this to your Dropbox folder, Dropbox only sees this encrypted vault, and nothing else. Your VA sees the same thing, an encrypted vault in his Dropbox folder but to get into it, he needs to have 1Password open it and enter the vault password to decrypt it. Your VA will see everything you see once the vault is unlocked in 1Password.

You can confirm this by opening Windows' File Explorer and go through the .agilekeychain folder to see its content, the data will look scrambled.

To send your VA the vault, share the folder with him via Dropbox. Here's the instructions on how: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?win

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. What I understand now is that my virtual assistant would have access to my password with facebook; however I could change the password of his vault at any time, correct? Back to my seceond question, how can I send him encrypted his vault via dropbox. I apprecite your assistance.

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mike, this is all clear now and I can try it. I am happy and I appreciate your assistance. Have a great day,

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @betty,

Yes, you can change the vault's password or better still, stop sharing the vault, it's under your control. However, be aware that if the VA no longer work with you and you stop sharing the vault, you will need to change all the passwords in that specific vault manually.

As for your second question, I did send you the instructions, it's here: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?win

Please click on it and follow the guide on the bottom. It looks like this:

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

I canot sync dropbox with my 1 password because I haven't installed it in my computet it takes space. How else can I sync it? Thank you

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @betty,

You can use the selective sync feature in Dropbox to only sync a few folders and not everything. You can find out more here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/175

This really is the best option you have.

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

My phone is sync with dropbox, how can I send an encrypted message through 1 password. Thank you again for your assistance.

• Hi @betty,

What do you mean by encrypted message?

If you have 1Password set up on the phone with Dropbox sync, it will receive any changes you make to the vault in 1Password for Windows.

Is this what you're looking for?

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to send my VA his vault with my iphone. How can I do it?

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

How can I send important info with my iphone to my team members?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @betty,

Mike sent you the instructions for sharing a vault earlier. Here is the link again:

https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?win

Can you confirm for me that you are seeing our replies? It almost seems like you are not seeing what we are writing, and I want to make sure that you are. :)

If you are stuck on one of the steps, can you let us know which step you are stuck on? We would be happy to provide more specific assistance if we know where you are getting stuck.

Cheers!

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Of course I read all of your comments. I asked about my desktop and now about my iphone. So, again, I would like to know how to send an encrypted message and a vault using my iphone which by the way syncs with my dropbox. I look forward for your reply. I hope this is clear now, Thank you

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Dear khad - Mike T, i have succeeded to share vault with my partner via dropbox sync and thanks for your support. I have one final question. In my desktop i have 2 vaults. One is the master and the second is for my partner (the one which is shared). In my iphone via wifi sync i can see only the master vault. How can i manage to add the second vault to my iphone. The target is that i want to send a secure note or login from my iphone directly to the second vault which is shared with dropbox. Thank you once again. You are an amazing team, indeed.

• Hi @betty,

We're glad to hear that you've made progress and that our instructions were helpful.

It's only possible to sync the primary vault on your iPhone via Wi-Fi. All subsequent vaults have to be synchronised using Dropbox.
    That being said, you can copy an item between vaults using the 'Move or Copy' option at the bottom of each item in 1Password for iOS.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please make it more explicit how to send a sensitive information via iphone to a VA ? Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@betty: You can share a vault using Dropbox (it sounds like you did this already):

Share a vault (Windows)

And then setup the same vault on the iPhone:

Share a vault (iOS)

After that, you can simply add data to the encrypted vault on either device and it will sync to the other. I hope this helps! :)

• betty
    betty
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I will try it, so far I am doing good, thanks to you guys , have a great day!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You too! You're very welcome. We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.