1Password License Sharing with Spouse or Household

Options

Hello,

Looking at the Support Forum, I am not having much luck finding (and verifying) the answer to the question (or I haven't searched long enough):

"I own a copy of 1Password for Windows. Can I share that with my spouse?"

There are many answers in the Forum that say yes but I cannot tell if the information is stale (now that you have a "1Password for Families" product) or if it is current.

For example one actually gives a reference to the Agilebits page, https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/163681#Comment_163681, but then the data it gives as examples does not match the page referenced, https://agilebits.com/store/licenses.

So here is what I need if you can help.

Can she and I share my 1Password for Windows license?

If not, do you have a "1Password for Families" option that is not a recurring, monthly fee? (I don't do monthly fees, sorry.)

If not, is there any discount on buying an additional license? (Granted I bought the license in 12/2014 but it was $34 with a promotion at the time. Now a single license is $69.)

Love your product and just want to stay square with Agilebits.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password License Sharing with Spouse or Household

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@burt_simpson: I'm sorry for the confusion! Indeed, our licensing has changed this year, and ultimately 1Password Families is the way to go for family licensing going forward.

However, existing licenses such as yours for 1Password for Windows are still valid for multiple family members. So while you don't don't get access to the apps on all platforms as you would using 1Password Families, you and up to 5 others in your household can use 1Password for Windows on all of your PCs. So if that's all you'll use, there's no need to make an additional purchase at this time.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• burt_simpson
    burt_simpson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully your marketing folks will come up with another licensing model in the future (say the next major, paid upgrade) similar to the old model for families that does not include the whistles and bells such as built in sync, document storage, etc. Also one that is not based on a recurring monthly fee and just a flat cost.

One other note in addition to the above, the feature of Families says that it does not have "Flexible sync options" (such as Dropbox and iCloud) which sounds like Agilebits is handling not only the encryption on the file but presumably the encryption on the storage. That would (should) be an non-starter for anyone concerned with auditing security as it violates basic principles of split-control by keeping it all under one roof. That is a major benefit of the old license such that Agilebits handled the security of the file and others were tasked with the security of the storage and the two were isolated. (Unless Dropbox or iCloud uses your encryption technology as well.)

Just a thought, I wouldn't personally go with a solution that was not split between multiple players.

• MikeT
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @burt_simpson,

Hopefully your marketing folks will come up with another licensing model in the future (say the next major, paid upgrade) similar to the old model for families that does not include the whistles and bells such as built in sync, document storage, etc. Also one that is not based on a recurring monthly fee and just a flat cost

Just to be clear, you'd be able to upgrade your license to cover the next major versions of 1Password if you want, we're not planning on getting rid of the local standalone licenses. Local standalone versions of 1Password will remain alongside the Families/Teams service plans that complement the 1Password products.

However, the Families/Teams services will never have a flat cost because the cost goes into maintaining the servers that stores your data. So, such a flat fee is not sustainable nor feasible.

We certainly will keep your feedback in mind and will change things over time based on our customer needs.

One other note in addition to the above, the feature of Families says that it does not have "Flexible sync options" (such as Dropbox and iCloud) which sounds like Agilebits is handling not only the encryption on the file but presumably the encryption on the storage.

Yes, if you sign up for Families, we'd be handling your data on our servers as well as that's the point of using Families, we'll handle the encrypted data for you, so you don't have to use any third party services and you don't have to worry about any sync or backups for your family members.

However, in the 1Password program itself, you will still have the option of using third party sync services for other vaults if you want alongside Families.

First, your 1Password files are always encrypted at rest long before it even leaves your drive and it is under your control with your master password and the account key that we don't process. This is the same encryption regardless of where the data is, it's the same encryption even if you place it in your iCloud Drive and Dropbox folders. The difference is that on Families/Teams, you will have an extra security key that other sync services won't have, the Account Key that never leaves your local drive. You can see how it works if you scroll down to see the Security features of the Families/Teams services: https://1password.com/security/

We also have a detailed whitepaper here that will explain everything we're doing. We also have third party external auditing teams testing our code and services as well. We will also be adding two factor authentication support in the near future for Teams.

That would (should) be an non-starter for anyone concerned with auditing security as it violates basic principles of split-control by keeping it all under one roof.

That's true even if you're using Dropbox or iCloud since you don't own the encryption keys to Dropbox/iCloud Drive's encrypted data, they do. In our case, you do with the Account key.

• burt_simpson
    burt_simpson
    Community Member
    Options

Tracking with you and thanks. And again from my first message I truly love this product. It let's me use passwords that I would have almost no hope of remembering and not even having to duplicate those.

And I do see a need for the recurring service model for those that want those extra features. I do hope though that if future versions of the standalone do not include family co-use that perhaps even you all could introduce, say, a 2-pack or a 5-pack or something that has only the feature set of the standalone but costs less than the equivalent amount of singles.

Above you mention, "...we'll handle the encrypted data for you, so you don't have to use any third party services...". Actually that is exactly what I would like to do.

But to be clear my issue with using you for password file at rest encryption and storage would be like a public company (or private for that matter) allowing for withdrawals to be made from a corporate account using only one signature. At least two should be required. (Unless you want a SOX auditor to rip you a new one.) Though that is technically dual-control, not split-control, the control is still there.

That is why I like using Dropbox for its own set of security, https://www.dropbox.com/security. You encrypt the file at rest and they also encrypt it in flight and at rest. If something happened loopy on their end, I have your encryption. If something happened loopy on yours, I have theirs. Either way, my sensitive information is covered and by to dis-related entities.

I know, I know, I am being a bit of a stickler (insert more colorful word here if you like) on this but I have been in our industry about 25 years, seen many audits and seen many "never thought that could happen..." things over the years.

You folks have what appear to be a hardened yet usable product of which there are very few out there. I only hope you don't "consumerize" it too much for us hardcores that like the tech side of things too.

Thanks for the help.

• MikeT
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @burt_simpson,

I know, I know, I am being a bit of a stickler (insert more colorful word here if you like) on this but I have been in our industry about 25 years, seen many audits and seen many "never thought that could happen..." things over the years.

You're correct to be extra cautious about your security, this is your highly sensitive data and you should have the right to control it in the way you want it.

But to be clear my issue with using you for password file at rest encryption and storage would be like a public company (or private for that matter) allowing for withdrawals to be made from a corporate account using only one signature. At least two should be required. (Unless you want a SOX auditor to rip you a new one.) Though that is technically dual-control, not split-control, the control is still there.

I do understand and who knows, maybe in the future, we'd let you self-host your own Families server as well (which should tickle your hardcore techie needs). One thing for sure, we're always going to be working on improving our security and keep evolving it. Compare 1Password to where it was 5 years ago and now, imagine where it could be in a few years.

I do hope though that if future versions of the standalone do not include family co-use that perhaps even you all could introduce, say, a 2-pack or a 5-pack or something that has only the feature set of the standalone but costs less than the equivalent amount of singles.

That's an interesting idea, we'll keep it in mind.

This discussion has been closed.