Can I use 1P on public wifi?

WillK
WillK
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Hi, I often work at Starbucks and want to know if it's safe to type in my master password and use 1P to log in to sites when I'm on a public wifi network. Also, if I have 1P open when I'm on public wifi, can someone hack in and read/steal my passwords from iP? I've read several posts on this topic but can't find a crystal clear answer. Is it safe, or not? Also, if I Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:public wifi

Comments

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

Yes, it is completely safe to use 1Password in public Wi-Fis. However, if you want to be extra cautious, always check that no one is looking when you're typing your master password :)

About logging in to sites in public Wi-Fis using 1Password - yes, that is safe as well - usually - because most sites use SSL encryption (you can recognize this from a lock icon in your web browser address bar and a page URL beginning with https:// instead of http://). However, if some site does not use SSL encryption, another user in that public Wi-Fi could theoretically capture your password since it is transmitted unencrypted. Please note that this is something 1Password cannot affect - the same issue would exist even if you typed the password yourself. However, you shouldn't be afraid of this - nowadays most sites requiring login always offer SSL encrypted connection.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WillK,

What @ollifi said is right! To expand on this, keep in mind that 1Password stores your data locally. This means that your passwords are stored and encrypted in your own computer and that your Master Password is never sent over the internet. If someone were to access your computer somehow and get the file with your passwords they still wouldn't be able to read them unless they also had your Master Password to decrypt them.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• WillK
    WillK
    Community Member

Thanks for the help, great answers!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

@WillK you're very welcome! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to contact us! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.