What does Master Password Unlock?

CharPatton
CharPatton
Community Member

Hi:

I've had some issues with web passwords not being passed seamlessly between my 3 computers. The issue seemed to be a corrupted vault, so we lost some passwords but reset everything and now all is good to go. But...

I changed the Master Password on one of our 3 computers yesterday, figuring that this master password change also would synch to all 3 computers. But it hasn't. So here's the question:

• Is this failure to synch the master password an indication that the gremlin is back?
  • Or does each computer have its own master password, even though everything is pointing to a file in DropBox?

Does this make sense? Any explanation would be most appreciated. Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Cap
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@CharPatton when you change your master password on what we'll call Device 1 and then sync to what we'll call Device 2 you first have to unlock 1Password on Device 2 with your old master password in order that the sync of the new master password from Device 1 can take place. Once that has happened you should be able to unlock 1Password on Device 2 using the new master password.

Does that help at all?

Stephen

• CharPatton
    CharPatton
    Community Member

Makes sense. Will try this. As always, thanks for great support and an awesome product!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CharPatton,

I’m glad to see that Stephen was able to answer your question.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.