When click on 1Password icon it will not open drop down menu in a browser (both Chrome and Mozilla)

When I click on 1Password icon in a browser it will not open drop down menu (both in Chrome and Mozilla). This is new laptop (MS Surface Book) with Windows 10 installed. I have been using 1password on my Windows 7 desktop and Mac laptop before with no problem. Icon seem to be completely unresponsive. When I click on Ctrl-\, I do get 1Password menu, but with no contextual response (e.g., if I am on a Discover CC site, it does not show Discover login item). I tried just about everything with no luck.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: MS Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:missing-extension-button

Comments

• Hi @curcija,

Thanks for writing us.

This sounds very much like a case of anti-malware software or a firewall preventing the 1Password extension in Chrome and Firefox from contacting the 1Password Helper.

If the 1Password extension still works in Internet Explorer, there's a good chance it's third party interference. If it doesn't work in Internet Explorer, either, then it's certain.

Which anti-malware software are you using?

Cheers!

• curcija
    curcija
    Community Member

I cannot verify if 1password extension is working in IE Explorer, since I cannot find IE explorer or Edge extension on Agilebits web site. It shows support for Chrome, Mozilla, Safari and Opera, but none of MS browsers. In terms of security, I am running Sophos anti-virus protection. TRhis software is on both my Windows 7 desktop and Mac OS-X, with no issues like this.

• Sorry for the confusion, @curcija.

The 1Password extension for Internet Explorer is added to the browser when you install 1Password. Once you open Internet Explorer and enable the Command Bar, you should see the 1Password icon.

That being said: Sophos is the likely culprit.

As part of the security measures in the Endpoint Protection software and Sophos Home, WebSocket communication at the localhost IP address (127.0.0.1) of your computer is being blocked. The solution recommended by Sophos, can be found in our knowledge base article 'Configuring Sophos':
    https://support.1password.com/configure-sophos/win.html

If you're in a corporate or institutional environment where Sophos Endpoint Protection is managed by an IT department, access to the settings of the software might be limited. In this case you will need to consult the IT department to configure the software to work with 1Password.

If you have any other questions, please contact us again.

Cheers!

• curcija
    curcija
    Community Member

Instructions for configuring Sophos were not applicable to my version (10.6), but I was able to find appropriate section (Authorization Manager/Websites) and after adding 127.0.0.1 and restarting helper, I am now able to use 1password to fill web forms :-). Thank you for your help.

BTW, IE 1password web form fill was working even without this fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

BTW, IE 1password web form fill was working even without this fix.

@curcija: Indeed, Internet Explorer (R.I.P.) add-ons worked very differently than other browsers' extension APIs, so it doesn't utilize WebSockets at all. While IE isn't affected by this particular issue though, often "security" software will prevent it from even being installed. :scream:

Instructions for configuring Sophos were not applicable to my version (10.6), but I was able to find appropriate section (Authorization Manager/Websites) and after adding 127.0.0.1 and restarting helper, I am now able to use 1password to fill web forms :-). Thank you for your help.

On behalf of Alex, you're most welcome! That's great to hear, and thank you for sharing your experience! That may help others as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.