1Password browser extensions not locking when I lock my computer

Options
rickmyred
rickmyred
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I lock my computer, 1Password used to lock so that upon unlocking my computer, I would also have to unlock 1Password. I noticed today that it is no longer doing this. Now, when I lock and then unlock my computer, I still have access to 1Password without having to unlock it. I have tested this with both Chrome and Internet Explorer.

I checked my Security settings by opening the 1Password program, and the "Lock when your computer is locked" feature is selected.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.6.0.604 (IE), 4.5.6.90 (Chrome), 4.5.6 (Firefox)
OS Version: 6.1.7601 SP1 (Windows)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @rickmyred,

Is it set to lock after a certain period of idling time and if yes, does it happen? Or did you only set it to lock with the computer lock and no other lock settings are set?

Could you attach a screenshot of your security settings, so we can see what you have set?

• rickmyred
    rickmyred
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like I do also have the setting to have it locked after X minutes of inactivity. But I thought these were a list of scenarios in which it would lock (i.e. it will lock after XX minutes of inactivity, even if the computer is unlocked, it will lock if the computer is locked, it will lock when the screen saver is activated, etc.). Here's the screenshot:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rickmyred: Very odd. I wonder if 1Password is getting suspended before it's able to lock properly for some reason...though it's strange that it would have worked before and then suddenly stopped. If you disable "Lock when your computer is locked" and re-enable it, does it that help?

I also some questions about your original description of the problem: is this only affecting the browser extensions? For example, after lock/unlock, is only the extension still unlocked, or the main 1Password app as well? Also, are you actually locking Windows manually, or putting it into standby/suspend/sleep? That may help us narrow down the cause. Thanks in advance!

• rickmyred
    rickmyred
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,

I tried your suggestion of disabling and re-enabling the "Lock when your computer is locked" option, but that did not help. I also tried disabling the other options I had selected for locking 1Password, but even when "Lock when your computer is locked" was the only option selected, it still did not lock when I locked my computer.

It does appear that it is only happening with the extensions. The main 1Password program did, in fact, lock when I locked my computer. As far as saying it "suddenly" stopped working, I wish I could be more clear on that. It's possible it has been doing this for awhile, but I just didn't notice it. The weird thing is that I don't think I can get my browser extensions to lock at all unless I specifically select the "Lock" option from the 1Password browser extension menu. I put my computer into a state of hibernation at the end of the work day on Friday (as I always do at the end of a work day), and when I started it back up this morning, I opened Chrome and hit "Ctrl + \", and 1Password gave me access immediately without having to enter my password.

I know I said in the first paragraph that I had disabled all other lock options except for "Lock when your computer is locked", but I only did that this morning after I got to work. So it definitely should have been locked when I started my computer today....if not from my computer being locked, then definitely from my computer being in hibernation or lack of activity or something.

• That is highly peculiar.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.