Running 1Password from External Drive

ecustan
ecustan
Community Member

I am a registered user of 1Password (now v6). I run 1Password on a 15" MacBook Pro non retina. I also use an 1b ssd external drive to do my heavy lifting; final cut pro etc. I installed 1Password on the external drive, but when start from the drive and I try to use it I am told that I have two copies of 1Password installed and must delete one. Then when I delete the copy from the external sad drive iPassword will not run. I need to use 1Password when I am using the external SSD drive. How can I use 1Password when starting from my SSD on my 15" MacBook Pro?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ecustan,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty running 1Password from your external SSD drive!

...when start from the drive and I try to use it I am told that I have two copies of 1Password installed and must delete one.

This problem is actually due to a strange issue in Yosemite and El Capitan which causes the operating system to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. Unfortunately there's not much we can do because OS X (specifically, launchd) determines which instance of 1Password mini to run, despite us telling it the right one.

However, I'm not sure I understand what happens next:

Then when I delete the copy from the external sad drive iPassword will not run.

Do you mean that once you delete the copy from the external drive, the copy of 1Password on your internal drive no longer works? If so, what happens when you try to use it? Do you start to receive a different error message?

This discussion has been closed.