I'm not getting my reconfigured laptop to sync to exisiting dropbox agilekeychain

patrise
patrise
Community Member

had to wipe and upgrade macBook, so essentially a new install. My AgileKeychain is in Dropbox. everytime I tried to sync to it it created a new one from your online db that was several years old. I manually copied my current agilekeychain over the new one but it still isnt right - I am concerned now I am going to lose all my data.

HELP!!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:icloud requires mac app store, kb:sync-options, ug:mac/sync-dropbox, kb-search:trouble syncing new laptop, kb:migrate-data-to-new-device

Comments

• patrise
    patrise
    Community Member

extension version is 4.5.6.90 - I didnt understand the question at first

• Hi patrise,

Before proceeding, are you sure your vault on Dropbox is the latest? Can you verify that with the file modification date? I just want to be sure of this before proceeding.

When you first launch 1Password on your newly reset MacBook, you should see a setup screen that looks like this:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer.html

If you don't. You need to reset your 1Password setup using the instructions here:
    https://support.1password.com/starting-over/mac.html

In the setup screen, click the blue link at the bottom titled "Already have 1Password Data somewhere else". You should then be able to follow the instructions for existing Dropbox data here:
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer-dropbox.html

I hope that helps, let us know how it goes.

• patrise
    patrise
    Community Member

I think I'm back to where I should be. How can I be sure my keychain is backed up to agilebits account ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @patrise,

I think I'm back to where I should be.

That’s great to hear!

How can I be sure my keychain is backed up to agilebits account ?

Have you signed up for 1Password Teams or 1Password Families? If you’re using Dropbox to store your data, your database will be synced using Dropbox and not a 1Password account. The 1Password app will make backups every day onto your system, and storing your 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox gives you extra protection in case anything happens to your computer.

Were you interested in signing up for a 1Password account?

• patrise
    patrise
    Community Member

don't I already have an account?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @patrise,

1Password accounts were recently introduced as an alternative to using Dropbox or iCloud sync. I took a quick look in our back office records, and I see that you have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac. Purchasing a license for 1Password is not the same as signing up for a 1Password account.

Let’s take a step back for a moment. If your concern is ensuring that your data is backed up and protected, 1Password is making local backups on a daily basis, and having your data stored in Dropbox ensures that, even if something happens to your computer, your data will be available to you. So, you’re covered there.

The benefit of having a 1Password account is that the syncing would be taken care of for you: there would be no need to set up Dropbox or iCloud, all your data would appear on your devices as soon as you signed into your 1Password account. You would also have access to your data via a web interface, and there are some cool sharing capabilities if you’re using 1Password with your family, or your team. If you would like to set up a 1Password account, I’d be happy to help you do so.

• patrise
    patrise
    Community Member

well, I just recently wiped and reconfigured my laptop and very nearly lost my data since I did not understand the process for correctly installing 1Password on a new machine.What I need is a backup for the one version of my agilekeychain that's on Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @patrise,

It sounds like your main concern is making sure you have a backup of your 1Password data somewhere other than your Mac. That's good - you can never have too many backups, especially when it comes to such important information!

When you enable Dropbox sync in 1Password, it puts a copy of that vault in a .agilekeychain or .opvault file in Dropbox. That file is used for syncing purposes and is constantly changing whenever you change your data in 1Password, so technically we don't consider that a "backup file" in the traditional sense. However, you can certainly use it as a backup if necessary. As you already know, if something happens to your Mac, your Dropbox files will still be in your Dropbox account. In addition to that, Dropbox keeps backup copies of your files for 30 days. You can find more information about that on Dropbox's support site here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/122

We also highly recommend backing up your Mac on a regular basis (using Time Machine or another backup app or service). 1Password for Mac automatically makes backups of your 1Password data and stores them locally on your Mac, so if your Mac is backed up, your 1Password backups will also be backed up. But if you'd like to save your 1Password backup files somewhere else (like a USB drive, memory card, etc), it's very easy:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup.
    • Click the Show Files button to open the 1Password backups folder on your Mac.
    • Copy those backup files (or at least the most recent one) to another location.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• patrise
    patrise
    Community Member

Thank you so much! that is reassuring about the DropBox backups, and the backup features in 1Password. I really love the product, its on all my devices. I have 100s of pwords for myself and my clients, so Id be lost without it,

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @patrise,

I’m glad that Drew was able to reassure you! Thanks so much for your kind words. It’s awesome to hear that you find 1Password so useful.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're always here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.