Helper help

glennamydavis
glennamydavis
Community Member
edited May 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

1) I want to use Chrome for my 1password and NOT the Win 10 app - mainly because the Chrome allows for instant fill on websites and Win 10 does not. After installing the extension, I receive a message that the Helper needs to be running. Where is this helper, how do I force it to run?

2) I have a trial version of 1password on Safari (Mac) to which I want to migrate to my new 1P account. How would I do this?

I did look in the forum and Google but could not find satisfactory help. Why is this problem not easily addressed by 1P help? Frustrating. It should not require me to post on the forum.

Thanks.

1Password Version: How do I find this info?
Extension Version: Chrome 4.5.6.7
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member

Can you please tell me why my request for help was overlooked by both of you? Do I need to email customer support with my need?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @glennamydavis,

The 1Password browser extensions itself does not have any data or UI, you cannot use it without the main 1Password program installed that will process your data locally.

1Password Helper is a companion process that is installed alongside with 1Password 4.6 for Windows, so it can process your encrypted data and work with the browser extension. When you ask the extension to fill, the extension works with 1Password Helper to find the right data, decrypt it and send it to the extension to fill onto the website. When you need to save, the extension process the page and capture the data to be sent to 1Password Helper, where it will encrypt the data to be saved in your 1Password vault folder.

Right now, 1Password 4.6 does not support Families. The 1Password Beta for Windows 10 from the Windows Store is a brand new app that is designed with Families in mind but doesn't support everything yet, such as extensions. However, extensions support is coming.

In addition, we are working on 1Password 6 for Windows that has limited browser extensions support that we've added a few days ago but it is far from being done. If you want to give it a try, here's the beta thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family#latest

2) I have a trial version of 1password on Safari (Mac) to which I want to migrate to my new 1P account. How would I do this?

Here's how: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/

Once you sign into your 1Password Account, the trial mode will instantly disappear.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @glennamydavis,

I saw your other thread and merged it in here.

Can you please tell me why my request for help was overlooked by both of you? Do I need to email customer support with my need?

We didn't, we tackle the oldest first and I am guessing Brenty was already at the end of his shift last night when he got to yours. I just got to yours now.

We do apologize if it took a while. If you need to contact us via email, you can do so via support+windows@agilebits.com.

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate the fast follow-up. My time for admin duties in my business are very limited due to my work and a newborn child at home - so as you can tell, when I partner with a company I need solid customer service.

When I click on the 1P Chrome extension, it takes me here:
    https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html
    And then message that the Helper is not running.

If I am using Win 10 (not an upgrade but initial install on clean machine in Nov 2015), what are my choices for using 1P? The Win 10 1P app is very limited and useless so that does not seem to be a solution.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @glennamydavis,

It depends on if you want to keep using 1Password Families or downgrade to local vaults only.

Right now, there's no easy way to use Families + extensions on Windows. That's what we're working on as we speak and we have just added limited support for extensions in the latest 1Password 6 beta for Windows but it is limited just like what you saw in 1Password Beta for Windows 10. We're doing everything we can to get this new version out but it will take some time.

The reason you're seeing all of this is because 1Password Families is relatively a new service from us and we have to start afresh with it on Windows where the other platforms didn't have to do that.

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member

Well, sounds you and your team are working hard to make the platform usable! Kudos to all of you. I know it's not easy because my friend is an MS phone evangelist and he tells me how it is difficult to provide software for all the operating systems, phones, tablets, etc.

Can you help point in the direction that you think would be the best temporarily?
    a) On my work desktop I have two monitors and can tag one monitor into an older PC (used to look at archived records). Last month I was able to tag one monitor into the older PC (it had a upgrade to Win 10) and the 1P extension in Chrome would work decently. I think I used the dropbox method to link to my Mac 1P account (Safari) but can't remember.

b) If I go local for 1P on the new PC with Win 10, can I share this local account via Dropbox to my Mac 1P (Safari) account, or no?

Since it appears 1P is will have a solution for the Families account, it is not critical to have the Macs update to new password/account changes but it would be helpful. I can wait a month or so.

What direction would you do? Thanks very much!!

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @glennamydavis,

Yes, you can use 1Password on your Mac to sync a local vault between your work computers and other Macs via Dropbox alongside your 1Password account vaults. That may be your best option for the moment.

The thing is that 1Password Families uses a different data structure from the local vault, you would have to manually migrate the data changes to your 1Password account each time you make changes in the local vault, at least until the next major version of 1Password is released on Windows.

In other words, when you make changes in the local vault on your work PCs, you have to remember when you're at home to unlock 1Password, wait for Dropbox to pull the changes, then select the recent changes you made and copy it over to your 1Password Account to keep it updated. Same vis versa, if you make changes in your 1Password Account, you have to copy it over to your local vault.

When everything's done on Windows, 1Password Families would be drastically simple to use and you don't have to do this anymore.

Let me know if this sounds good and you'd like to do this, I'll then explain what you can do next.

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Extremely helpful Mike!

My decision now is to maintain the primary local vault on the new Win 10 pc computer. Then, migrate the current vault on Mac to the new Win 10 pc vault. Whatever edits/changes will occur on the Win 10 vault, if need be, will be translated to the Mac. When the team finalyzes the Win 10 extension then I will be in position to go forward with sharing more efficiently. 90% of my work is on the new Win 10 pc and need to keep the new vault on it.

Is there a link on Agilebits website to download a local vault to a Win 10 pc?
    Does it matter which browser I use with it?
    Can I use Dropbox in this fashion? No worries if it cannot.

• Hi @glennamydavis,

First, let's make sure your Mac app is configured for this before we proceed with your PC since it sounds like your Mac has the local vault and all of the data you want to copy to the PC. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Basically, what you have to do on your PC is here: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/sync-dropbox.html

1. Download and install Dropbox client from their site: https://www.Dropbox.com
    2. Wait for it to finish syncing everything
    3. Download and install 1Password 4.6 for Windows here: http://agilebits.com/downloads
    4. Open 1Password, it should detect the vault from Dropbox and you should allow it to use that. Once it shows you the lock vault, unlock and confirm the data is what you expect, you can then use the extension in your browser.

For browsers, you can use Chrome, Firefox, and Opera if you want. Internet Explorer 11 is supported as well.

• glennamydavis
    glennamydavis
    Community Member

Mike,

First, thank you again for being attentive and explaining the reason why the delay in responding. That makes sense to me. Second, I hope you allow me some grace for pushing a little for attention - I have a major project due in a few days and today is one of the few days budgeted away from family and business responsibilities to complete his big project. So my time today is precious.

I was able to connect the Mac vault to the new Win 10 pc vault via Dropbox! I will use this until your great team has a better solution. Coming from Lastpass, my current state of passwords/sites is messy due to the bugs in LP - mainly, it did NOT save new passwords that it's own program generated. I was in the process of starting over with 1P when the situation required we move our vault to the new pc. And with the disruption of this big project our password/site project is still messy.

Anywho, all is good and thanks again for the detailed and fast response! Keep plowing away for the new Win 10 solution and I'm ready whenever your team is.

Kindly,
    Glenn
    Denver, CO

• Hi @glennamydavis,

I'm super glad to hear you got it to work on the PC now with Dropbox and no worries about being passionate here, we do understand you're busy.

All thanks goes to you for being patient with us while we work together to make 1Password work for your needs. We can't wait to show you the next versions of 1Password on Windows that'll push Families into the awesome solution it can be.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please do not hesitate to do so here.

PS: I'm going to send you a private message about one final note.

This discussion has been closed.