Hi, I have been using 1password successfully for some time now. I would like to teach my wife how t

Hi, I have been using 1password for Windows7 for some time now. I would like to persuade my wife to use it, but her bank has a login based upon random selection of single characters from a password. 1password is not ideal for these type of logins. I am aware of a feature for OS X called "large type" that seems to have been well received. Any plans to add that feature to the Windows version?

Thanks, John

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Large type

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jaybeeaitch: Yep! We've added Large Type to the new 1Password for Windows. It isn't done yet, but you can get a preview of it in the Windows Beta category of the forums here:

1Password for Windows beta

It's available on Windows 10 in the Windows Store, and we're making progress on a version for Windows 7 and 8.1 as well. It's still pretty early, but we're working hard to the updated Windows app that supports both 1Password Families and local vaults ready for you and the rest of our awesome customers.

We'll be sure to announce when it's finished. You can keep up with AgileBits and 1Password news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements. Cheers! :)

• jaybeeaitch
    jaybeeaitch
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. That prompted me to have another try at installing window 10 on my ageing hardware, and this time it worked! Installed the beta of the app, and that's almost what I want. Howeve, because the large type disappears as soon as the focus changes, it maybe a bit scary for some one who is not computer literate, like my wife. For instance, open the app, select the banking login, press the browse button, and the (internal?) browser opens. Once at the password page, swap back to the main app, and select the password so that large type appears. Remember the first prompted character, swap back to the browser, and the large type disappears. Typical reaction - it's broken! I will persevere and see how my wife gets on with more familiarity. I'll report back later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jaybeeaitch: Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get Windows 10 installed. I had similar difficulties for a long time on an older tablet of mine, but the good news is that Microsoft is continually improving Windows 10 to work out these kinks.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the Large Type feature! You're absolutely right. We've recently made the window "anchorable" in 1Password for Mac, and it sounds like having that ability on Windows would help you as well. That's just one of a number of ways we'd like to improve the Windows beta going forward — including the browser integration we're working on right now. :)

• jaybeeaitch
    jaybeeaitch
    Community Member

Hi Brenty. I have two questions on the win10 beta. My wife's bank uses two login pages which I access through the built in browser. On the first page her user name auto fills which is handy. The next page has individual boxes for specific password characters. Unfortunately 1password auto fills the whole password into the first box, and it has to be manually deleted. Is there a setting in the beta app to stop auto fil, or better, renaming the field it Uses for auto fill so it can't be found?

Second question is a lot harder. My wife's account on the Windows PCs had the trial version installed for some time but was not used due to the idiosyncrasies of her banks login page. In preparation for trying the beta, I upgraded her master password to a 5 word dice ware phrase. Installed the beta and set to Dropbox with no problems. Then decided that a 6 word dice ware phrase was a better choice, so in the standard Windows version I added an extra word to the master password. Logged out and in again with no problem, but the beta app did not refresh its copy of the master password. I still needed to use the old 5 word phrase. Other things like logins and passwords seem to synch between the standard Windows trial version, the beta app, and her iPhone. Is there an article explaining the strange master password behaviour?

Thanks, John

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jaybeeaitch: I'm really sorry for the trouble there, on both counts! In each case, it's simply a matter of the app isn't yet complete.

The browser filling in the Windows (Store) 10 beta is handy, but very basic and without any control over its behaviour. We've started to add browser integration in our new Windows desktop beta, so we're making a lot of progress here, but of course it isn't fast enough when you're trying to get things done today. But we won't stop until it becomes an afterthought because it just works.

Similarly, the beta uses the Master Password of the first vault/account added as the one for unlocking the app, but there isn't a way to change this currently. It isn't ideal, but what you can do is reinstall the app and set it up again, which will have it use the Master Password in use at that time. We definitely want to make it possible to not only change the Master Password right within the app, but also sync these changes between all devices. We're just not there yet.

Thanks so much for bringing this up. And while I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes, rest assured we're working every day to improve the new app. :)

• jaybeeaitch
    jaybeeaitch
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response Brenty. I had already reinstalled the app to work around the master password. And until the behaviour of the large type window is a little better, I think I am going to work around that with a pice of paper.
    1) unlock the beta
    2) visit the login page in chrome
    3) note down the number of the characters requested
    4) from the large type window write down the actual characters
    5) switch back to chrome, enter the characters of the password
    6) dispose of paper

Seems a bit cumbersome in some ways, but avoids having the banking password written down in full (only way of remembering character 10 of a 20 character password) and gets my wife familiar with using 1password. Thanks for the help, look forward to the full app.

• Hi @jaybeeaitch,

You could try installing the latest desktop beta instead, Large Type will stay on screen regardless of the focus and you can dismiss it by clicking on it. Here's a screenshot:

Unfortunately, it is not yet optimized to resize the entire password to fit the screen. We're working on fixing that soon.

As for preventing the auto-fill, there's an option for opening the site in the browser instead of filling. If you click on Settings on top right to select Options, scroll down to 1Browser to change how it should behave:

• jaybeeaitch
    jaybeeaitch
    Community Member

MikeT, that works very well indeed. A little bit more practice, and my wife will cope easily. Thanks very much

John

• Hi @jaybeeaitch,

You're welcome. We would love to hear more feedback from you and your wife as it does help us determine what needs to be improved sooner.

• Hi @jaybeeaitch,

Just an update, the latest desktop beta build now includes a scrollbar for Large Type. But there was an unintentional change where it is dismissed when you switch away from 1Password. I've filed a bug report to revert this change soon.

I'd suggest skipping 501d update if you see it.

• K, we've fixed the dismissal issue, so it should stay on top now in the latest updates.

This discussion has been closed.