1password application won't open, but browser extension works fine (v4.6.0.604 on Windows 10)

Options

I think this is a similar problem as Patriot was seeing in Feb., 2015:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/36790/1password-wont-open

Bassically I can't get the desktop application to launch on my laptop (works fine on my Mac at home). The little blue circle goes around for a second or 2 and then nothing (no error message, no logs that I can find). I have tried multiple time to:
1. reinstall
2. restart
3. launch from the Program Files location, system tray, within the browser extension (Chrome and Firefox, BTW)
4. run as administrator

It works fine within the browser though, so something is clearly working.

Any suggestions?
Michael

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @mike_g,

That sounds like 1Password Helper is still running as a background service, so your extensions are working with it.

We haven't seen any other cases of this before, so we don't have a clear fix for you. I'd like to move this to email, so we can ask you to try something in private. Could you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com with the link to this thread included, so we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know when you sent the email, so we can confirm we got it.

• mike_g
    mike_g
    Community Member
    Options

I have emailed you. Cheers.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks, we got it and will reply to your email soon.

ref: ARL-77683-292

• mike_g
    mike_g
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Your suggestion worked for me. In case other people might find it useful, it was:
    1. Uninstall 1Password
    2. Then go into the C:\Program Files directory and delete the 1Password folder along with any residual files in the 1Password directory.
    3. Reboot
    4. Download and reinstall 1Password with admin privledges.

Apparently getting rid of the leftover directory and file was the trick.

Thanks,
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of MikeT, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that helped. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.