Annoying Unlock behaviour - Windows 10

I use 1password on my corporate laptop on a daily basis. I simply love it.
Only...the annoyance I have, once the browser plugin is unlocked, I tell it to open 1password desktop app, where it pops up locked and I have to unlock it again. :(
I checked and unchecked and re-checked the Unlock behaviour in the preferences >> Unlock: When unlocking the application, also unlock 1password in the browser. But the issue I'm seeing is vice-versa.
On my Mac this works flawlessly. I unlock the Safari 1password plugin and tell it to open 1password, where it appears unlocked.

is it just me or is anyone else also experiencing this rather unexpected behaviour?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (build 10586)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• flashmac7
    flashmac7
    Community Member

I believe I've just resolved it myself. I've read up on the Universal lock behaviour and caveats >> here
    When I disable the timeout lock, the application opens as expected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flashmac7: That's certainly one option. But another for better security would be to simply have the main 1Password app running. It can be minimized to the notification area. But if it is running, it can unlock with the browser extension.

Alternatively, if you're trying to open the main 1Password app anyway, instead of doing this:

1. Open browser
    2. Unlock 1Password extension
    3. Open main 1Password app
    4. Unlock main 1Password app

You can do this and "cut out the middle man":

1. Open main 1Password app
    2. Unlock main 1Password app (browser extension wil unlock as well unless you disable the feature)

That's a lot less clicks. I hope this helps. Cheers! :)

• flashmac7
    flashmac7
    Community Member

cheers @brenty for the tips. Looks like I'll have to change my workflow slightly when at the office

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flashmac7: You're welcome! Let me know if my suggestion about leaving 1Password running in the background helps with your case. I prefer that method myself, but everyone's different. :chuffed:

• flashmac7
    flashmac7
    Community Member

I've opted to unlocking 1password at boot, only locking the app when I lock my PC. That works for me. At least now I understand the locking mechanism

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that helps! We have some ideas on how we might be able to improve this in future versions. Thanks again for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.