Locating 1Password data

Options
AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
edited June 2016 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: I have 1password on my iMac and my iPhone. How can I transfer it to my MacBook Air?.

Comments

• gimmieinfo
    gimmieinfo
    Community Member
    Options

I am about to wipe my 2009 imac and downgrade to Mavericks from El capitanshite using a prepared usb drive and would like to know how to find the 1Password data so that i can capture it on an external drive and then use it to repopulate my computer once Mavericks is re-installed. I have found many conversations relating to this topic but i am unable to reconcile the instructions found therein with any experience on my actual Imac. I don't understand computers or computer language but I understand english. It would be lovely if someone could tell me what buttons to press and in what order? That would be wonderful. Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gimmieinfo: I hope you don't mind, but I've relocated you to a separate discussion to avoid confusing things with the other person's issue. That way we can focus on your particular situation.

Where 1Password's data resides really depends on where you setup your vault, if you're syncing, and which version of 1Password you're using currently. So it's impossible to say precisely which buttons to press under the circumstances, but I'll do my best to give you some idea.

First and foremost, if you're using a recent version of 1Password, this guide will walk you through the process:

How to move your 1Password data to a new computer or device

That will take you step by step through syncing the data to a USB drive so you can get it off of the computer before cleaning it out.

However, if you're already using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, you can find your OPVault or AgileKeychain vault in your Dropbox folder. 1Password Preferences > Sync should show you the exact path in a recent version, and if you're using 1Password 3 you'll find the location of the vault in Preferences > General.

But before proceeding, it might be best if you tell me a bit more about why you're doing this in the first place and what OS and 1Password versions you're using currently. After all, there may be an alternative that doesn't leave you on an unsupported OS with an old version of 1Password that is no longer receiving updates. But at the very least, knowing the specifics will allow me to give more detailed instructions if you still need help. Let me know what you find! :)

This discussion has been closed.