Why am I suddently getting the "Looking for the 1Password helper" error?

I've been using 1Password for at least a year now with the Firefox extension, and it worked perfectly until a few weeks ago. Suddenly I started getting the following message in a new browser window whenever I try to run the extension by clicking on the 1Password symbol in Firefox:

"Looking for the 1Password helper. The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly. Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension."

At the same time I also get a popup saying:

"This link needs to be opened with an application", and am asked to pick a program on my computer.

What could be causing this all of a sudden? I haven't changed anything - same antivirus that I've had all along, so I'm not sure where to start!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:helper must be running

Comments

• Hi @jstone,

Was Firefox recently updated or anything like that? It sounds like it was and it lost the file association between onepassword4:// and 1Password 4 Helper.

"This link needs to be opened with an application", and am asked to pick a program on my computer.

If it is talking about the URL protocol, onepassword4:// then you should select 1Password 4 that should be on the list already.

If not, please try this instead:

1. Open the main 1Password 4 for Windows program, unlock, and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper
    2. Restart Firefox and try 1Password extension now
  • jstone
    jstone
    Community Member

That was it! It was the first option. I selected 1Password from the list in the popup and everything appears to be good now. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of MikeT, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.