could you please bring back pronounceable passwords?

odysseus
odysseus
Community Member

I understand that the "pronounceable" option on password generation was removed once 1P featured words as passwords. My problem is that my current employer won't accept any passwords that contain words found in the dictionary! So I'm forced to choose passwords that are very difficult to remember (and the word-based passwords usually didn't fit the maximum 20 character length, either.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @odysseus,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your request to bring back the pronounceable password option!

In case you're interested in reading more about why this was changed in the first place, our security guru jpgoldberg wrote an in-depth explanation in another forum discussion here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/276861/#Comment_276861 (There's a lot of other good information in that thread as well.)

As he mentions near the end of that post, the word-list style generator doesn't seem to be working well as a replacement for everyone, and our developers would really like to do something about that. I can't make any promises about if/when we might bring pronounceable passwords back to the password generator, but I'll be happy to forward your feedback to our developers.

Thanks again for letting us know how the pronounceable password option was helpful for you! If you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.