I have a 1Password 6 license, how can I activate 1password for Windows

Options
Haiku_Oezu
Haiku_Oezu
Community Member
edited June 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

First of all, my apologies if this has been addressed but I couldn't find the answer from the KB or searching
I have a 1password 6 license that I purchased in May 14, 2014 from the AgileBits Store (it was an upgrade from a 1PW3 license)

I wish to use 1password on Windows as well, but as I understand the license is now sold per person as opposed to per device so there is no Windows licence anymore

Problem is, I have no idea how to activate 1password on Windows... the windows app asks for a license key which I do not have (I only have the 1password license file and a link to activate)
I know there's upgrade pricing available but I have to insert my old 1password license key which again, does not exist

Do I have to buy 1P 6 again to use it on Windows?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:windows license, ug:windows/registering-1password, kb:undefined, kb-search:windows license

Comments

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Haiku_Oezu,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble here but don't feel the need to apologize for asking questions on the forum. It is why Agile Bits set it up. =)

Regarding setting up 1Password on your Windows machine:
    When you purchased the upgrade to 1 Password you received a license for running 1Password both on a Mac and on Windows.

In order to get your license goto this page:
    https://support.1password.com/

Scroll to the bottom to the section "Can't find your license?" and enter the email address you used when you purchased 1Password in 2014. Agile Bits will then email you the license key that will allow you to setup the App on Windows.

One clarification regarding versions of 1Password:
    Currently the Mac version of 1Password is at 6.3.1 and the Windows version is 4.6.0.604.

• Haiku_Oezu
    Haiku_Oezu
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @rogerdodgerrogerdodger
    Thank you kindly for your assistance, I actually had already tried your method but I only got back a previous license I bought for 1password 3.0 (I repeated the process and I got the same old license back)

I am positive I have bought 1password 6.0 with this same email address because I have an invoice with an order number for 1password 6.0 in the very address I'm putting in, but it's not coming up with that page you provided :/

As stated however this receipt only gives me an activation link, there's no human readable code to input in 1password for Windows

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Haiku_Oezu,

Have you emailed support@agilebits.com? I would suggest that you contact them so they can look up your billing info.

Is there a chance you used a different email?

Have you searched through your email history for your License Information? Mine is in the email they sent when I upgraded from version 3 to version 5. It looks like my License Key for the Mac version 3 is identical to the one for Windows version 4.

Have you tried the old License Key in the Windows App?

• Haiku_Oezu
    Haiku_Oezu
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm going to give emailing them a shot, I'm positive the email is the same because if I request access to my "Customer Center Link" using that same address I get three different logins (same email different passwords :P) one will contain a single receipt for 1P3.0 (code does not work, says it's from a previous version), the other has one for 1P4.0 (does NOT work on Windows, it says the windows app requires a selicense) license) and the most recent one an invoice m for 1P 6.0 (license file/link only, no code)

I think at this point taking it AgileBits is my only option, thanks for the assistance regardless :)

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Haiku_Oezu

It sounds like a potential billing issue so taking it up with Agile Bits will be best.

Good luck!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rogerdodger: Thanks for your help here! I do want to clarify one point of confusion:

When you purchased the upgrade to 1 Password you received a license for running 1Password both on a Mac and on Windows.

This is true of the single 1Password licenses sold today, but in years past we offered 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows as separate purchases with the option to buy them together in a bundle. This "bundle" is equivalent to the license you see in the AgileBits Store today, but in the past a license that was purchased may have been for one platform or the other, and not both.

@Haiku_Oezu: I've already replied via email regarding your licenses and upgrade options, but I also wanted to address this publicly in case someone else has a similar question:

I wish to use 1password on Windows as well, but as I understand the license is now sold per person as opposed to per device so there is no Windows licence anymore

We've never sold licenses on a "per machine" basis, but it's understandable that someone might think so since it's a fairly common practice in the software industry. Licenses for 1Password are actually sold per-person, so for example a 1Password for Mac license entitles you to use it on all of your Macs.

But as I mentioned above, we used to sell separate licenses for each platform. We found that it simplified things greatly for customers to buy a single license to use on all of their computers. That was an option before, but it was one of three. But given that this change is recent (a few months ago), it's definitely caused some confusion for existing customers, and I'm really sorry about that. Let us know if you have additional questions. We're always here to help! :)

• Haiku_Oezu
    Haiku_Oezu
    Community Member
    Options

Ah yes of course, I was thinking "per OS" rather than "per machine" :)
    I do remember pondering wether I should just buy 1password for windows or not because of I little I use it and then the option was suddenly gone so I ended up being confused for a while
    Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah yes of course, I was thinking "per OS" rather than "per machine" :)

That's what I figured, but I didn't want to leave any doubt. ;)

I do remember pondering wether I should just buy 1password for windows or not because of I little I use it and then the option was suddenly gone so I ended up being confused for a while Thanks for the help!

You're welcome! Indeed, I think a lot of people did this and went with the cheaper option...and then regretted it later we they needed both. The new single license is much simpler, but there's a bit of a learning curve for us all. Thanks for your patience! :chuffed:

• ThYpHoOn
    ThYpHoOn
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hey,
    I've quite the same problem. I'm using 1Password on my OS X and on iPhone and I love it. Now I also want to use it on my home desktop which runs Windows 10. What upgrade possibilities exist to upgrade my 1Password 6 Mac license to also work on Windows?
    Edit: I found the upgrade license button in the store: https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade
    But there it says my only available upgrade is to a Single License (again?!).

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @ThYpHoOn,

That may be confusing because we've changed our licensing model a few months ago. We now only sell one license at our store, the single desktop license that covers both Mac and Windows. Current Mac customers, that wants to buy Windows support, can upgrade to this new license and pay half of the price since they own the Mac half already.

Did you buy 1Password at the Mac App Store? I can't find any orders using your forum's profile email address. If you bought 1Password at the Mac App Store recently, you do get a free license for Windows since we've switched to one license for both Mac/Windows but you have to forward us your proof of purchase at support+license@agilebits.com to get the license.

• jknick
    jknick
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I'm in a very similar situation here too. I've got a family license on my Mac and wish to use 1Password on Windows 10. (maybe it's not called a family license, but my version 6 Mac license states that it "can be used by 5 people on as many Macs as needed.") My understanding then is that since I bought this back in the day when the platform licensing was not unified that I would need to upgrade my license to new one to support Windows. Correct?

I checked the link ThyPhoon posted above (https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade) and for that I need a license key. The problem is that I don't have a license key for version 6 for Mac. Re-sending the license results in two licenses being emailed: an old Version 3 that does have a key, and a newer Version 6 that only has a .xml file with no actual key... So I can't even check for a possible upgrade from version 6 that would also support Windows.

Help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jknick: Sorry for the confusion! You're on the right track there. The license code which is part of the 1Password 6 license file will work...but it's simpler to just use the 1Password 3 license key since you already have that handy. That will get you upgrade pricing through the AgileBits Store to you can add the Windows version. Cheers! :)

• jknick
    jknick
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Aha. I'll definitely look at that then. I guess it didn't occur to me that the 1Password 3 license would still be valid in this case. Love the product. Thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @jknick,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. That's kind of you to say that about our products, we can't wait to show you what we have coming in the near future.

• mluciano
    mluciano
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, I have a new PC for work and now wanted to use 1password6 on Windows10 now. I hat 1password before with a single licence and was syncing it with my iOS and Mac device via Dropbox. I did the upgrad with discount in the shop, but when I ope the new installation it asks for my 1password account data (incl. secret key) and/or for a 1password account. I don´t have one of them. Can you please help me?

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hey there, @mluciano !

Thanks for reaching out! :)

There seems to be a bit of confusion between 1Password accounts and licenses, so let's try to clear that up. 1Password accounts are a newer, yet highly recommended way to use 1Password. They offer automatic syncing, the ability to access and manage your data on 1Password.com, and more! You mentioned, however, that you were previously syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox, which means that you were actually using a standalone license instead of a 1Password account.

Although I would highly encourage you to check out 1Password accounts, as they give many benefits over standalone licenses (https://support.1password.com/why-account/), you can still use your Dropbox vault instead if you would like.

The secret key that you mentioned is one of the credentials for a 1Password account that is used to unencrypt the data stored within its vault(s). The secret key is exclusive to 1Password accounts, and is not included with standalone licenses, which is why you are unable to find one.

On the 1Password setup screen, there should be another option to "Find your data." Please choose this option and then select "Dropbox" from the list. From here, after following the next few on-screen prompts, you should have your Dropbox data restored and intact within 1Password.

Hopefully, this helps, but please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• IceFusion
    IceFusion
    Community Member
    Options

I also have a license and have installed 1P on a Windows machine for the first time. I do not see the "Find your data" option on the setup screen, and cannot access. Can I create a standalone vault? I cannot install anything that syncs, dropbox or otherwise.

• Hey @IceFusion,

To create a standalone vault, you'll have to download older 1Password 4 for Windows. You can get it on our download page by clicking the "Get 1Password 4 (standalone version)" link.

Once you've downloaded and installed it, you'll have the ability to create a standalone vault.

Cheers,

Alex

• nimmerichter
    nimmerichter
    Community Member
    Options

I have bought 1 Password for i-phone in September 2014 via the i-tunes app store. Order No: MHF47HGFF9, and invoice No: 203083722035.
    Now I would like to install 1-PW on a new PC. I am however, not aware of a license number and cannot activate the downloaded Software. Am I required to switch to the new 1PW6 Iicense? I appreciate any advice on how to get a valid license to activate the Software on the PC.
    best Natascha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@nimmerichter: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You won't have a license at all in that case, as the purchase is tied to your Apple ID. Purchasing from the App Store doesn't (and can't, frankly) include the Windows version, as this is understandably not something Apple wants to support. ;)

1Password 6 isn't available as a license as it doesn't support local vaults. But a 1Password.com membership includes the latest version of all of the apps (including the website, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data).

Anyway, I'll send you an email momentarily with some additional details since we don't want to discuss purchase information on a public forum. Cheers! :)

ref: LKI-18575-651

• nimmerichter
    nimmerichter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply and assistance. The license code you have sent is the one for my own single user license. However, my question was related to another one bought by my wife. Sorry for not mention this earlier. Could I send her e-mail address to you via mail?
    chhers
    alfred

• nimmerichter
    nimmerichter
    Community Member
    Options

re to your answer concerning the Apple ID. If I understand this means that this version bought for iOS works only on iOS and is not expandable for PC?
    thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nimmerichter: Indeed, 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Windows (and others) are separate products, so they'd either need to be purchased separately, or you
    can get all of them as part of a 1Password.com membership.

Definitely get back to me via email with the details so I can check for other licenses. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• nimmerichter
    nimmerichter
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, I have sent you a reply via the support e-mail from which I received your message earlier. Hope this arrives to you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nimmerichter: Got it! I'll get back to your shortly. :) :+1:

• hugocsv
    hugocsv
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there, I've been using 1Password on macOS with a purchased license (syncing via Dropbox) and would like to now also use it on my Windows machine. Can I use the same licence? If not, how can I get a Windows license?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hugocsv: 1Password for Windows licenses are no longer being sold, as the standalone version is not under active development anymore. You may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

You can try it for free for 30 days. And once you sign up, if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your purchase details and post the Support ID you receive here, we'll see if there's something we can do to help you migrate. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.