Cannot install 1Password 3 extension in browsers on Snow Leopard

Comments

• JFK7
    JFK7
    Community Member

Will 1Password 6.3.1 work on Snow Leopard? Because when I check for updates it says that I have the latest version 3.8.22. Currently the 3.8.22 will not work on any browser. I don't want to upgrade to El Capitan because most of the apps I have and use will not work on any upgrade. So far all the browsers want this version of 1 Password to be verified by you guys first.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @JFK7,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! The problem you're running into is a bit different than the one from the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread in our 1Password 3 for Mac forum. I hope you don't mind!

Will 1Password 6.3.1 work on Snow Leopard?

No, 1Password 6 for Mac requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan). 1Password 3 (version 3.8.22) is the most recent version that will work on OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Because when I check for updates it says that I have the latest version 3.8.22.

Sorry for any confusion about that! You would actually receive that message even if you were on a newer version of Mac OS X. That's because the most recent free update for 1Password 3 for Mac was 3.8.22 (version 4/5/6 is a paid upgrade from version 3 and installed separately). It's just a coincidence that 3.8.22 also happens to be the latest version to support Snow Leopard.

So far all the browsers want this version of 1 Password to be verified by you guys first.

The way web browsers work with extensions has changed a lot over the years, and as the extension for 1Password 3 is fairly old at this point, it unfortunately isn't compatible with all of the latest web browsers. (For example, the 1Password 3 extension won't work in Firefox 40 or later due to changes made in that version of Firefox.) We have more information about the compatibility between the 1Password 3 extension and modern web browsers here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

I'm not sure which browser you normally use, but you should still be able to get the version 3 extension working in Chrome. The following post (from the above link) explains how to do that: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/310841/#Comment_310841

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know. We're here for you! :)

• JFK7
    JFK7
    Community Member

Thank you for moving it and answering my question. I am hesitant on upgrading because I fear some of the apps that I use a lot will not work with El Capitan. I am also finding out that new apps on App Store or other sites will not work on Snow Leopard, but require a much newer version. I'm holding out as long as I can since I have yet to discover that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. By the time I get there the rainbow dissappears. :-) Oh, well that's progress.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I can definitely see how it would be difficult to upgrade if you knew certain apps would no longer work on the newer operating system. I definitely recommend looking into whether or not there are newer versions of the apps you're using which support the latest OS. If not, chances are you can find other apps to replace them on the newer system.

If you eventually upgrade your Mac and need any help upgrading to the latest version of 1Password, please be sure to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• RandallSimonsen
    RandallSimonsen
    Community Member

I have 1Password 3.8.22 on my MacBook Pro (10.6.8) and my iPhone 6. It has been very handy and I used it all the time. A few months ago, however, Chrome sent me a notice that they disabled part of 1Password because “the 1Password App must be installed for the extension to work properly.”

The little key icon in the bar in the upper right disappeared on both Chrome and Firefox. I can still access info using the icon in the dock, but I have to enter the user ID and password manually. That kinda defeats the purpose. I tried to find what Chrome needed and fix the problem, but no go. What can I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RandallSimonsen: I think you may be misremembering the message Chrome gave. As Drew mentioned above, the current version of Chrome will disable extensions that were not installed from the Chrome Web Store, but you can install that version instead and it will work:

Google Chrome: "Unsupported Extensions Disabled"

And in the case of Firefox, it isn't possible to use 1Password 3 with it any longer since they've removed the widgets module which the old extension depends on last year. So Chrome is really the only option currently. And given that Google is no longer updating Chrome on old unsupported OS X versions, other issues may arise in the future as well.

• RandallSimonsen
    RandallSimonsen
    Community Member

Okay, Thanks! I clicked your link and followed the steps. My old key icon with all my stuff is back, but next to it is the newer keyhole icon. When I click on that, it treats me as a new customer and wants me to set up everything from scratch. If I ignore that icon, can I still work from the old key icon, or is that going to change?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RandallSimonsen,

The browser with the keyhole icon is a newer version of the 1Password extension that will only work with newer versions of the 1Password app. The extension with the old key icon is the correct extension for 1Password 3, so that's the one you'll need to keep using.

If you open Chrome and go to the menu option for Window > Extensions, the list of extensions that opens will likely show two versions of the 1Password extension. You need to keep the 1Password 3.x extension, but you can delete the 1Password 4.x extension. Once you do that, the extension with the keyhole icon should disappear from Chrome's toolbar.

If you have any trouble with that, please let us know! :)

• RandallSimonsen
    RandallSimonsen
    Community Member

Thanks! Wish I'd found you guys months ago!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Now that you've found us, please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.