New Item -> Password missing in 1Password for Windows

Options

In the Android app I can add a Password as an item to my vault. I can't do this in the 1Password for Windows as New Item -> Password does not exist. The password(s) I have added through the Android app appear in the main list of vault items in 1Password for Windows but are not grouped in the left-hand menu (like Logins and Wallet) as a Passwords group doesn't exist. This also means the total of the counts next to each group in off by the number of Passwords I have.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604 (15)
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90 (Google Chrome)
OS Version: 6.2.9200 (Windows 10)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikevanoo: There are definitely some consistency issues between platforms that we're working to address. I'm really sorry for the confusion here!

"Password" items are actually not meant to be to be used to save login information directly. That's what "Logins" are for. A "Password" item is saved when you use 1Password to generate and fill a new random password. This is a safety net in case you or 1Password forgets to save a login for the site — or update an existing one.

And with 1Password for Windows specifically, it's using an older category list (including "Wallet" subcategories and legacy types like "Email"). This will change in later versions to be more in line with other platforms, and 1Password for Android will as well.

You may find that it's a bit helpful to disable "Wallet" and "Accounts" in the View menu. Doing this will expose the subcategories hidden under each in the sidebar. I hope this helps! :)

• mikevanoo
    mikevanoo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for your reply.

Aha!! In the View menu there is "Generated Passwords" which I can turn on and see them grouped. with this turned on the New Item menu then includes a Password item. Works a treat.

Personally I think passwords can be first-class citizens and not just a safety net. For example, my employers payroll email out payslips every month and password protect the PDF. So, I had to supply them with the password I would like them to use to protect my payslips. There aren't any other attributes to this, just the password. The same applies to my employers VPN client. They issue a certificate which requires a password to use. Again, no other attributes.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again.

Mike.

P.S. I understand 1p for Windows 6 is in beta at present and should be released in August. However, I use OPVault and dropbox and I believe that is planned for "later in the year". Is this still the case?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

@mikevanoo: You're welcome! :chuffed:

Aha!! In the View menu there is "Generated Passwords" which I can turn on and see them grouped. with this turned on the New Item menu then includes a Password item. Works a treat.

Well, now I feel foolish for failing to mention that specifically...but I'm glad you found it! :lol:

Personally I think passwords can be first-class citizens and not just a safety net. For example, my employers payroll email out payslips every month and password protect the PDF. So, I had to supply them with the password I would like them to use to protect my payslips. There aren't any other attributes to this, just the password. The same applies to my employers VPN client. They issue a certificate which requires a password to use. Again, no other attributes. Just my 2 cents.

You're absolutely right. Both of these uses make good candidates for Password items. The only reason it's really a problem, practically speaking, is that our Password categories are likely to be filled with a lot of "noise". That can make it difficult to find items we explicitly save there. Of course cleaning things up helps, but then if we later need to find a previously used generated password, that could mean bad news. So there isn't a perfect solution right now, but it's something we can take into account as we develop 1Password going forward.

Personally, for cases like your example, I use either a Login or Secure Note for that kind of information. When it's a password-only use that may require filling in the browser, Login is the best option since the extension can fill it. And in cases where it's for a document, Secure Notes can be very handy. Just a suggestion that might help.

P.S. I understand 1p for Windows 6 is in beta at present and should be released in August. However, I use OPVault and dropbox and I believe that is planned for "later in the year". Is this still the case?

Correct. Since we already have a full featured app for local vaults on Windows (1Password 4), we're targeting 1Password Families/Teams with 1Password 6 so folks using those have a solution. 1Password 6 does have basic support for AgileKeychain and OPVault, but they're read-only for now. Editing is something we'll add down the road. :)

This discussion has been closed.